Out of range on your cell phone with no pizza delivery man in sight? Try Dutch Oven Pizza on your next camp trip!
One of the fun parts about cooking while camping is the challenge of the “camp kitchen.” So, doing a homemade pizza out in the wilderness might seem like a challenge a bit too lofty but this one is a breeze! The secret: ditch the traditional dough for a batter-based crust. Who knows…You may even throw away your favorite pizza delivery phone number when you get home!
Dutch Oven Pizza
400° for 30-40 minutes
29 charcoal briquettes (19 on top, 10 on bottom)
Note: Dutch oven sizes vary, number of briquettes is approximate based on 12” oven. Bigger ovens require more briquettes, smaller require less.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground meat (we like hot Italian sausage)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 small can sliced black olives (optional)
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (reserved)
- Heat oil in bottom of dutch oven, add meat and brown thoroughly
- Add the onion, garlic and green pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, oregano and pepper
- Remove mixture from dutch oven to hold for use later
- HINT: If the charcoal briquettes are not ready but we have a campfire going, we brown the meat over the fire but switch to the charcoal for baking the pizza in order to maintain a steady baking temperature for the perfect crust and melted cheese
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- Mix the dry ingredients together. Add the oil, egg whites and milk stirring lightly
- Spread the batter in the bottom of a lightly sprayed dutch oven (oven will be pre-heated from browning the meat)
- Spoon the topping over the pizza crust (batter) and sprinkle with cheese
- Bake until the crust around the sides is well browned (begin checking at 30 minutes)
Enjoy my favorite camping food recipes!