These camping cocktails feature a bold ginger spice flavor explosion in a copper mug! Ginger Beer Moscow Mules are refreshing and super chilled when served in copper mugs making them the perfect summertime camping cocktail. They can be made with or without alcohol and have tons of variations. Cheers!
In This Post:
Why Are Moscow Mules Served In Copper?
Did you ever wonder why you almost always receive a Moscow Mule in a copper mug when you order one in a bar or restaurant?
Well, there is not just one reason … there are several.
Why copper mugs are important:
- The tradition: since the 1940s, this cocktail has been served in a copper mug.
- The taste: some people think the copper boosts the spicy and citrusy flavors of the drink.
- The consistency: certain drinkers believe the bubbly carbonation of the ginger beer is enhanced by a copper mug.
- The temperature: as a thermal conductor, copper reacts to heat and cold. If you put a hot drink in a copper mug, it will stay warm longer. If you put a cold drink in a copper mug, it will stay cold longer.
Copper mugs will keep your mules super cold and refreshing … some mug sets come with copper straws too!
Moscow Mule Ginger Beer Varieties
Most ginger beer mixers are non-alcoholic sodas with a spicy ginger flavor.
They are typically available in bottles but you can also find it in cans which is a nice option if you like to go glass-free while camping.
My personal favorite is the classically flavored Cock-N-Bull brand. It comes in bottles and cans. You can also get it in a cherry flavor or in a diet variety.
Other brands offer options that use different sorts of sweeteners.
Moscow Mule Recipes Variations
Omit the mint. Some people think mint is a fresh burst of summer flavor, others think it is overwhelming. If you are in the overwhelming camp, just avoid adding the mint to your cocktail.
Add cherries and omit the mint. If you want a spicy, sweet and tart Ginger Beer Moscow Mule Cocktail, use a cherry ginger beer, omit the mint and garnish with a few cherries on a drink pick.
Garnish your drinks. Use fun drink picks if you are adding a garnish like crystallized ginger chunks or cherries to your Moscow Mules! These things make edible garnishes easy to eat.
Virgin Moscow Mules
Alcohol free. Yes, you can make Virgin Ginger Beer Moscow Mules! Just check that the brand of ginger beer you are using does not contain alcohol and omit the vodka.
How To Make A Simple Ginger Beer Mule
As far as easy cocktails are concerned, they don’t get much easier than this!
You’re going to fill a copper mug with ice then add vodka and lime juice.
Don’t skip the mint sprig … it is a really important ingredient to make this beverage super-fresh and perfect for hot summer weather.
Camp Cocktail Tip: You’ve probably seen bartenders do it! Place the mint sprig in the palm of your hand and smack it with your other hand (sort of like clapping); this will release the essential oils and give your drink a fantastic fresh smell and flavor!
Then, you’ll just top off the mug with your favorite ginger beer, stir and enjoy.
Print This Recipe
Ginger Beer Moscow Mules Camping Cocktails
- Ice to fill a 16 oz. copper mug
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1/2 lime juiced
- Mint sprig s, you’ll need one for the drink and an additional sprig for garnish, if desired
- Bottle or can of ginger beer
- Fill a 16 oz. copper mug with ice.
- Add vodka and lime juice to the mug.
- Place the mint sprig in the palm of your hand and smack it with your other hand (sort of like clapping), then place it in the mug.
- Top with ginger beer.
- Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Garnish with mint leaves, lime slices or cherries, optional.
New Food Recipes To Try
Yummy cocktails are great but you need to eat too! Try these unique and delicious food options on your camp menu.