Polish Potato Salad Recipe: Easy retro side for grilled meats & sandwiches
This retro family-favorite Polish Potato Salad Recipe is the perfect pairing for a quick grilled steak, burger, BBQ ribs or just a deli sandwich. This is one of the best camping side dishes for a quick meal in the wilderness.
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
Prepare In Advance
Personally, I love cooking at the campsite but there are certain times I want to prep and cook as much as possible at home. Some of my favorite make ahead camping meals include potato and pasta salads that actually taste better after the flavors have time to marry for a few days.
You have a few options:
- Prepare in advance: You can make this entire recipe at home and just keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to serve it.
- Prep in advance: You can just prep the ingredients ahead and assemble at camp.
- All onsite: You can make the entire recipe at camp. This is a great option if you have limited cold storage space because most of the individual ingredients are shelf-stable.
Cooking Methods & Equipment
When I make this onsite, I like the heat control (especially for hard boiled eggs) of my propane stove so I make this as one of my camp stove recipes an RV or convention stove are fine too.
Step 1. Prepare your ingredients, heat source and equipment as directed.
Wash the potatoes, chop the celery and onion. Prepare a large pot for boiling over high heat using a camp stove, RV stove, conventional stove or campfire.
Step 2. Cook the potatoes. Place washed potatoes in a large pot of water over high heat. You’ll bring the pot to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20-30 minutes.
Step 3. Cube the potatoes. Drain the water, cool the potatoes, remove the skins and cut into bite-sized cubes.
Step 4. Cook the eggs. Place cold eggs in a small saucepan and cover them with water. Place the pot over high heat and bring the water to boil. Then, reduce the heat so the eggs gently simmer, about 20 minutes.
Step 5. Chop the eggs. Drain the hot water from the eggs. Fill with a combination of cold water and ice cubes so the cooking stops and the eggs cool quickly. Peel the eggs, chop them and set aside.
Step 6. Make the dressing. Combine the celery, onion, relish, garlic salt, celery salt, mustard, pepper and mayo in a small bowl and set aside.
Step 7. Mix the potato salad and chill. Combine the potatoes and eggs in a large mixing bowl then fold in the dressing. Sprinkle paprika over the top and chill in the refrigerator or cooler. Serve cold.
A classic way for Polish families to use extra vegetables is to make a Polish Vegetable Salad version of this potato salad. To do that you’ll just boil vegetables along with the potatoes and chop them into small cubes and toss them with everything else. Carrots, celery root and parsley root are common ingredients used for these Polish recipes.
Other common ingredients include canned peas, chopped apples, diced dill pickles, chopped cucumbers. Any combinatin of these variations make tasty vegetarian camping recipes.
What To Serve With This Recipe
Here are some wonderful camping dinner recipes to serve as a main dish with this potato salad on the side.
This Dutch Oven Meatloaf is a warm and hearty comfort food that is topped with bacon and a simple homemade glaze. This is a great combination if you are looking for gluten free camping food ideas.
3 ingredients and NO prepping make these Dutch Oven Beef Sandwiches a pefect hot sandwich dinner.
These fall-off-the-bone tender Camping Dutch Oven BBQ Ribs Recipe are so delicious, especially with a cold potato salad on the side.
Try this Grilled Flat Iron Camping Steak Recipe that only requires 5 minutes to prep and 8 minutes to cook!
I don’t like making really big batches of mayo-based salads because if they are not kept at safe temperatures, they can quickly spoil. If you are scaling this recipe to feed large groups, make sure you have ample cold storage space to keep the salad at a safe temperature. See how to keep food cold while camping.
Print This Recipe
Tried this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating, comment or both!
Sign up here for FREE weekly camping tips delivered to your email 📧😊
Polish Potato Salad Recipe
- 5 medium potatoes Yukon Gold is a good variety for potato salad
- 3 eggs hardboiled
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Black pepper to taste
- Paprika to sprinkle on top
- Wash potatoes, scrubbing off dirt from skins. Place whole potatoes in large pot of water.
- Place pot over high heat and bring to boil. Continue to boil until the potatoes are cooked. They should be tender yet still firm and not mushy, about 20-30 minutes. You can use a camp stove, RV stove, conventional stove or campfire for cooking this recipe.
- Drain the water and let potatoes cool before handling, then remove the skins and cut into bite-sized cubes, then, set aside.
- Place cold eggs in small saucepan, cover with water then place over high heat to bring to boil. Then, reduce to low-medium heat and allow eggs to gently simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Drain the water from the pan, then fill pan with cold water and ice cubes to stop the cooking and cool the eggs as quickly as possible (this makes them easier to peel.)
- Once cooled, peel eggs then chop them and set them aside.
- In small bowl make dressing by mixing the celery, onion, relish, garlic salt, celery salt, mustard, pepper and mayo, then set aside.
- In large bowl combine the potatoes and eggs then gently fold in the dressing.
- Sprinkle with paprika and chill in refrigerator or cooler.
Check out more camping salads for your camp menu.
This Potato Salad With Bacon And Chives is perfect for meat lovers who think adding bacon makes everything taste better.
Want a 5-star salad that requires no cooking? Try this Southwest Camping Salad.
Make a crowd favorite with this Broccoli Sunshine Salad It combines raw broccoli, cooked bacon and a simple homemade dressing.
Enjoy this Greek Tomato And Feta Pasta Salad as a cold side salad or main dish.
More Yummy Meal Ideas
Every meal can be delicious and easy. Get inspired to try something new on your next trip.
If you’re looking for awesome ideas for yummy camping food, you’re in the right place!
Here’s our entire camping recipes list.
Get FREE camping tips and recipes emailed to you!
Our Camping Products Make Great Gifts!
Flexible Cutting MatCutting Mat SetStainless Steel Cocktail Shaker Set