You gotta love super simple Dutch oven camping recipes that use minimal ingredients, cook fast and make tasty one pot dinners! This Sausage Sauerkraut Dutch Oven Camping Recipe uses 3 ingredients that are packed with flavor and create a hearty meal in 10 minutes!
How To Make Sausage With Sauerkraut And Dumplings
The thing that makes it one of our easy camping meals is the fact that there are not many ingredients and no chopping is involved!
Step 1. Get your coals ready. You can use charcoal briquettes, campfire coals or a propane camp stove to make this recipe. If you are using campfire coals, get your camping fire starters ready to light your fire for cooking early because there is about ZERO prep for this recipe … it will be ready for cooking really fast.
Step 2. Defrost the dumplings. You will be using frozen bread dumplings that are pre-sliced in this recipe. They need to be slightly defrosted so you can separate the slices.
Step 3. Place the sauerkraut in the Dutch oven. There is no need to pre-heat your 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven. You’ll open the can of sauerkraut and dump it in the pot … yes, it is that simple! Don’t drain the kraut, it is the liquid in the sauerkraut that steams the dumplings.
Step 4. Layer the remaining ingredients. Place the pre-cooked smoked sausage over the sauerkraut. Now, place the dumplings on the sausage in one single layer.
Camp Cooking Tip: The sausage is the “rack” that holds the dumplings above the liquid for steaming them so place the sausage in the center of the oven to provide as much “surface space” as possible to keep the dumplings out of the liquid.
Step 5. Place the coals in a circle. This sausage sauerkraut is one of the fastest camping dinner recipes you will make … it cooks in 10 minutes! Just make sure you place the coals in a full circle (not a ring) … including the center … to heat the entire bottom of the Dutch oven.
Step 6. Cover and steam. You will be covering the Dutch oven for the steaming process. The smoked sausage is fully cooked so you are just heating it and the sauerkraut. It only takes about 10 minutes for the dumplings to be steamed by the sauerkraut liquid.
Step 7. Serve and enjoy. Remove the Dutch oven from the coals, slice the sausage and serve with the sauerkraut, dumplings and your mustard of choice.
Camp Cooking Tip: If you don’t feel like messing with coals, just make this recipe as one of our awesome camp stove recipes that uses propane.
The great thing about this meal is that it includes meat, veg and bread all in one pot. I like to serve nice crispy savory pickles on the side.
Get your FREE printable camping trip & menu planner before you create your next meal plan!
Print This Recipe
Sausage Sauerkraut Dutch Oven Camping Recipe
- 1 (14 oz) package smoked sausage
- 1 (14.5 oz) can shredded sauerkraut
- 1 (13 oz) package bread dumplings
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard optional for serving
- Prepare 12 coals for cooking (* see note below).
- Allow the sausage to come to room temperature. At the same time, remove the dumplings from the box to slightly defrost them to separate the slices.
- Do NOT drain the sauerkraut, spread contents of can evenly around a 12-inch camp Dutch oven. (You don’t have to pre-heat your oven for this recipe.)
- Place smoked sausage over the sauerkraut.
- Separate the sliced dumplings and place them in a single layer over the sausage.
- Place the coals in a pattern that will evenly heat a 12-inch Dutch oven from below. (You are using all of the coals under the oven, no coals will be placed on the lid. Place them in a full circular pattern including the center, not just a ring around the outside.)
- Cover the Dutch oven with the lid and cook for about 10 minutes. (The sausage is already cooked so you are just heating it and the sauerkraut liquid is steaming the dumplings.)
- Serve with mustard if desired.
Try All Of My Recipes
There are so many ways to enjoy awesome meals in the great outdoors!