When I set out to create super-simple camping dinner recipes, I don’t want to sacrifice flavor. This Cast Iron Chicken Breast recipe is almost-gourmet and makes its own pan sauce! Round out this chicken with balsamic vinegar, mushrooms and tomatoes with a side of rice and fresh steamed broccoli and you have a warm and hearty meal that is (shhhh, don’t tell anyone) healthy too!
Prep To Make This Recipe
Your prep work will be quick with this meal because you only have to slice a bit of onion and mince some garlic. I use pre-sliced fresh mushrooms because they are easier but if you want to purchase whole mushrooms, you’ll need to slice those too.
Camp Cooking Tip: When you have lots of dried herbs and spices in a recipe, do your measuring and mixing at home. That way the work is already done and you won’t have to unpack a bunch of spice jars when you get home. For this recipe you can pre-mix the dried basil, dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano and red pepper flakes … then transport the mixture in a small, sealed food storage container.
Methods Of Cooking Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breasts
If you are making this as one of our easy campfire recipes, you’ll need to get your fire going in order to cook over hot coals. You will be fluctuating the heat throughout the cooking process, starting with medium, then going to high, then back down to a medium-low heat. So you’ll be adding and removing coals to change the cooking temperature.
If you want to make this as one of our camp stove recipes you’ll need to have enough fuel for about 30 minutes of cooking. You’ll want to get your stove ready for cooking on a level surface.
Steps To Make Balsamic Chicken Skillet
Step 1. Prepare your ingredients as directed.
Step 2. Prepare your heat source and cooking equipment. You’ll want to use a large cast iron skillet that has a tight-fitting lid. Alternatively, you can use aluminum foil to create a make-shift lid.
Step 3. Season the chicken. Liberally apply salt and pepper to both sides of each chicken breast.
Step 4. Heat pan and oil. You’ll start by getting your cast iron pan heated then pour in enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
Step 5. Brown the chicken. Flip the chicken in the hot oil to brown all sides of it. You are just browning here, not cooking. As soon as it is browned, you’ll remove it from the skillet and set it aside.
Step 6. Sauté the veggies. Now it’s time to add onion, garlic and mushrooms to the cast iron skillet and cook them until they’re tender.
Step 7. Cook chicken, create the sauce and serve. Here’s when you are going to fully cook the chicken. You’ll add it back to the skillet then top it with the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, dried basil, dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano and red pepper flakes.
Cover the pan and let the chicken simmer in the sauce until it is fully cooked. Then top with fresh basil for serving.
What To Serve With Balsamic Chicken Breasts
This is a yummy gluten free camping food option. If you’d like to keep it gluten free, add some potatoes and green beans on the side.
I also like to serve this chicken with a side of rice and fresh steamed broccoli.
A few more easy camping meals you might want to try include:
This Dutch Oven Mustard Chicken creates a creamy and tangy pan sauce by combining sour cream and Dijon mustard to make a flavorful meal.
You’ve gotta love one pot camp meals! This simple Dutch Oven Chicken And Rice Camping Recipe combines chicken, rice and frozen veggies to make a classic comfort food taste without using canned soup. It gets its creamy texture from cream cheese.
If you’re looking for a meal with a Mexican flavor profile, look no further than this Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast Recipe. It gets protein and fiber from boneless, skinless chicken breasts and canned black beans. The tasty additions of avocado, corn, cumin and garlic take it over-the-top!
Oh my, this meal is so easy and yummy! It is another one pot meal that combines meat and veggies all in one pot. You’ll find chicken, potatoes and carrots are spruced-up with a bit of bacon, onion and garlic to create this delicious Dutch Oven Chicken And Potatoes Camping Recipe.
Print This Recipe
Cast Iron Chicken Breast With Balsamic Vinegar, Mushrooms & Tomatoes Camping Recipe
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper to season
- Approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil enough to generously coat bottom of large cast iron skillet
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 8 oz package fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil*
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes*
- 4 large fresh basil leaves torn
- Ingredients marked with * can be measured and mixed at home.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet over medium heat of a campfire, camp stove or RV stove top.
- Brown the chicken, flipping to brown all sides. Then remove and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms to the cast iron skillet and sauté until tender.
- Add the chicken back into skillet.
- Cover the chicken with the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, dried basil, dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Increase to a medium-high heat to bring the liquid to a boil.
- Cover the skillet and reduce the heat to a medium-low level to simmer the chicken in the liquid. Simmer the chicken until it is fully cooked, at least 165 degrees, and the juices run clear, approximately 20 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil and serve.
More Yummy Meal Ideas
Getting bored with the same old recipes? Here are some exciting ideas for you!
If you’re looking for awesome ideas for yummy camping food, you’re in the right place!
Here’s our entire camping recipes list.
Our Camping Products Make Great Gifts!