This is one of our favorite camping dessert recipes that can be made at the campsite but it is also a great make-ahead treat that freezes well too. I have also made this gooey Caramel Nut Brownies Camping Recipe in the great outdoors using a camp Dutch oven.
In This Post:
Caramel Nut Camping Brownies
If you decide to do this as part of your make ahead camping meals, cut the pan of baked brownies for individual sized servings and freeze them until your next camping trip. This is a great option when you are planning camping meals for two because you can just defrost a couple of slices as you need them.
This is also one of our easy camping meals for large groups because you can bake as many batches as needed to feed your crowd. You can freeze the entire batch and just defrost them and cut them at the campsite.
If you decide to make these brownies on-site, you can do it as one of our Dutch oven camping recipes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. NOTE: If you are using a Dutch oven, baking times vary depending on outside air temperature, elevation and humidity so be ready to make adjustments as necessary.
See my Dutch Oven Camp Cooking Tips for more information.
How Many Coals?
Are you always wondering how many charcoals briquettes you need to maintain specific temperatures when you are baking in your camp Dutch oven? Well, it depends on the size of your oven! Find the answer here … Dutch Oven Temperature Chart
If you are using charcoal briquettes with your Dutch oven, a chimney starter is great because it is a fast, efficient and clean way to light your charcoal.
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1. Preheat the oven. Whichever oven you decide to use, you’ll be baking these brownies at 350 degrees.
Step 2. Melt the caramels. In a medium pan over low heat, you’ll be melting the caramels along with the evaporated milk. If you don’t have lots of patience, delegate this job to someone who does! It takes a while for the caramels to melt and if you try to rush it, the caramel will turn hard. This can cause an emergency dentist visit … if you know what I mean. LOL
Step 3. Make the batter. You will be combining the cake mix, butter, evaporated milk, vanilla extract and walnuts in a large bowl. Just mix it by hand, no special equipment is required.
Step 4. Prepare the pan. If you are cooking this as a make ahead recipe at home, grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. If you are making this at the campsite using a Dutch oven, I recommend using a foil liner insert and greasing it or a parchment paper liner.
In case liners are new to you, here are my tips on how to use Dutch oven liners.
Step 5. Bake the brownies. You are going to add some batter to the pan and partially bake the brownies. Then you will add the next layers including the chocolate chips, melted caramel and remaining batter. Now, continue baking for about 20 minutes.
Step 6. Cool and slice. You need to let these brownies cool before you slice them. If you are preparing this yummy camping dessert for a future trip, slice them into individual servings, wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze them for your next trip. Then you can defrost the number of servings you need without defrosting the entire batch. If you are making these brownies at the campsite, get a nice cold glass of milk ready or cup of camp coffee … sit back and enjoy!
More Brownies, Please!
If you can’t get enough of these little chocolate slices of heaven … you need to try these Camping Smores Dutch Oven Brownies that put a new twist on an old campfire favorite dessert!
A boxed brownie mix is the beginning of these Campfire Brownies that are dotted with chunks of mini Snickers candy bars!
Print This Recipe
Caramel Nut Brownies Camping Recipe
- 1 (14 oz) package caramels
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk divided
- 1 (18 oz) package German chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Shortening to grease baking dish approximately 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- As a make-ahead dessert for camping: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the caramels: In a medium pan over LOW heat, melt caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk, gently stirring to prevent sticking then remove from heat. This takes time and tests your patience … make sure you pass the test because if you melt the caramels over high heat … the result is hard caramel instead of soft gooey goodness!
- For the batter: In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, butter, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, vanilla extract and walnuts. Just stir by hand, no electric mixer is required (that’s good for camping, you know!)
- Prepare the pan: Grease the sides and bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Spread 3/4 of the batter into the prepared pan and partially bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and evenly spread chocolate chips over the partially cooked brownies, then pour melted caramel over the top, finish by topping with remaining batter randomly dropping it around the pan allowing some of the caramel to remain uncovered.
- Return pan to oven and finish baking for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let cool before slicing and serving or wrapping to freeze for a future camp trip.
- NOTES for baking at the campsite: Follow the make-ahead instructions but use a Dutch oven instead of a 9×13 inch baking dish. I recommend using a 12-inch standard depth Dutch oven with a parchment paper liner or foil liner insert so you can easily lift the brownies out of the oven when they are finished baking and allow them to cool. Use 25 total coals = 17 top/8 bottom to maintain 350 F degrees. If you are using a different oven size, check our coal chart to see how many you should use https://www.campingforfoodies.com/dutch-oven-temperature-chart/
- Baking times vary depending on outside air temperature, elevation and humidity so be ready to make adjustments as necessary.
More Yummy Camp Meal Ideas
Make every meal of your trip an exciting one!