Greek Breakfast Pita Sandwich
When you want really bold and filling camping breakfast ideas, think hearty sandwiches. This Greek Breakfast Pita Sandwich Camping Recipe is fantastic and will satisfy you till dinner!
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
The scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage and bacon start this recipe in the direction of breakfast but the exciting Greek sauce and veggies take it into the easy camping lunches realm. I guess you can call it a “camping brunch” and move on with your adventures!
Step 1. Make the sauce.
You will make the sauce by mixing the yogurt, shredded cucumber, garlic, feta cheese, salt and pepper.
Camp Cooking Tip: You can prepare this sauce right before you are ready to eat this yummy Greek Pita Sandwiches Camping Breakfast Recipe … OR … you can prepare the sauce up to a few days in advance and just refrigerate it until you are ready to use it.
I like transporting my pre-mixed ingredients in food storage containers with tight fitting lids.
Step 2. Prepare the sandwich toppings.
The pita sandwich toppings are what really turn this camping breakfast sandwich into more of a brunch sandwich. You will be chopping a tomato and onion. Then you will peel, seed and chop a cucumber.
Camp Cooking Tip: This is another portion of this scrumptious sandwich camping breakfast recipe that you can prep-ahead and refrigerate until you are ready to eat.
Step 3. Cook the meat.
This is a “one pan” camping breakfast meal. You need to only dirty one non-stick skillet to do all of the cooking for this Greek Pita Sandwiches Camping Breakfast Recipe.
You will use the skillet to cook the bacon and sausage first.
Camp Cooking Tip: If you prefer to cook this Greek Pita Sandwiches Camping Breakfast Recipe over a campfire rather than a camp stove or RV stove … no problem!
Just use a cast iron skillet instead of a non-stick skillet and continue with the recipe.
Step 4. Toast the pitas.
You will reserve the grease from the bacon and sausage, leaving a thin coating in the pan to toast the pitas on both sides.
Step 5. Scramble the eggs.
Next, you will beat the eggs and then cook them scrambled style until they are cooked through.
Camp Cooking Tip: Be sure to have all of your other ingredients ready because as soon as the eggs are finished cooking, you will want to build your sandwiches.
You really want the eggs to be hot as you eat this delicious camping breakfast sandwich!
Step 6. Build the pita sandwiches.
The final step is to layer all of the ingredients to create your breakfast pita sandwiches.
As I mentioned earlier, this camping breakfast recipe makes filling sandwiches that will satisfy your appetite until dinner!
You may want to serve this hand-held breakfast sandwich with a fork too!
Camp Cooking Tip: This is a camping breakfast recipe that is really easy to scale for a crowd.
- You can make a big batch of sauce and prep all of the sandwich toppings in bulk.
- The same thing goes for the bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs.
- You just have to set up an assembly line and let your hungry campers build their own sandwiches!
If you love the flavor profile of Greek sandwiches, you’ve gotta try this Grilled Greek Pita Sandwich Recipe for dinner. Much of the recipe can be made ahead and then you just grill the chicken and assemble this hearty sandwich when you are ready to eat!
See all of our yummy camping sandwich ideas.
Get your FREE printable camping trip & menu planner before you create your next meal plan!
Print This Recipe
Tried this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating, comment or both!
Sign up here for FREE weekly camping tips delivered to your email 📧😊
Greek Pita Sandwiches Camping Breakfast Recipe
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cucumber shredded
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/8 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tomato chopped
- 3/4 cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 cup raw spinach roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound ground hot breakfast sausage crumbled
- 1/2 pound thick bacon crumbled
- 4 pita rounds
- 6 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the sauce by mixing the yogurt, shredded cucumber, garlic, feta cheese, salt and pepper (to taste) in a bowl then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Chop/prepare the tomato, the cucumber portion that is peeled, seeded and chopped, onion and spinach (sandwich topping veggies) and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In non-skillet over medium heat, fry bacon and sausage, crumble, set aside and keep warm. (NOTE: If you prefer to cook this Greek Pita Sandwiches Camping Breakfast Recipe over a campfire rather than a camp stove or RV stove, just use a cast iron skillet instead of a non-stick skillet and continue with the recipe.)
- Reserve most of the grease from the skillet leaving a thin coating in the pan. Toast the pitas on both sides then set aside.
- Beat eggs adding salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour eggs into skillet over medium heat with thin coating of reserved grease. Cook scrambled eggs by stirring gently until cooked through.
- Lay out pitas and portion ingredients equally beginning with a layer of eggs, then adding a layer of the meats, vegetables and finishing with the sauce.
No time to look for recipes, create a menu and write a grocery list? No Problem! Get our 3-Day Dutch Oven Camp Menu Plan here!