One of the best things about making camping grill recipes is how fast they cook!
With a little prep at home, this Grilled Greek Pita Sandwich Recipe will have a scrumptious dinner on your camp table in about 30 minutes!
Prep And Make Ahead Sandwiches For Camping
There are three main parts of this recipe that you can make at home … eliminating the time you need to devote to this meal at camp:
- Marinate the chicken.
- Make the Tzatziki sauce.
- Chop a few veggies for toppings.
Doing all of these steps in advance actually makes the sandwich taste even better!
Methods Of Cooking Grilled Greek Camping Sandwiches
The only thing you are cooking in this meal is the chicken which can be grilled many different ways:
For campfire recipes you can cook right on the rack of a campfire ring, or place a separate campfire grill grate over your campfire coals. You can use a grate that sits on the ground or the type that hangs from a tripod.
For camp stove recipes you can use a cast iron grill pan to cook over a propane camp stove.
Grilled Greek Pita Sandwich Campsite Assembly
When you are ready to eat, you’ll just grill the chicken, toast the pitas and assemble the toppings.
You can see why this is one of the fastest camping dinner recipes you can make at camp!
You’ll want to serve these sandwiches immediately.
The warm chicken and pitas contrast nicely with the cold sauce and veggies.
Pairings For Campfire Greek Chicken Pitas
When I serve a strong flavor profile, I like to choose one of my camping side dishes that carries the same tastes.
Not only does this Greek Tomato And Feta Pasta Salad have similar flavors … it is a make-ahead recipe too!
More Greek Camping Sandwich Ideas
If you like Greek pita sandwiches for dinner, you gotta try this yummy Breakfast Pita Sandwich Camping Recipe!
It makes a fabulously filling breakfast/brunch meal.
Print This Greek Pita Grilled Campfire Sandwiches Recipe
Campfire Grilled Greek Pita Sandwich Recipe
Chicken And Marinade
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette prepared salad dressing
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 small cucumber seeded, peeled, shredded (use box grater)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/8 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic minced (Camp Cooking Tip: If the garlic clove is large, only use half of it. This is a raw preparation and the garlic will be strong.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- Dash black pepper to taste
Toppings And Assembly
- 4 pitas we like the pocket style
- 4 leaves of romaine lettuce sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Combine the marinade and the chicken in a plastic food bag, seal it then toss the bag to coat the chicken. Then place it in a refrigerator or cooler at least a few hours or overnight (overnight is best).
- Make the Tzatziki Sauce by putting the cucumber and salt in a bowl. Let it stand for at least 20 minutes (this will draw out the water.) Squeeze out the excess water so the cucumber is as dry as possible.
- Now, mix all of the Tzatziki Sauce ingredients (including the drained cucumber), cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Flavors marry here so make this ahead of time. Camp Cooking Tip: You can make the Tzatziki Sauce a day ahead and just keep it refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
- Grill the chicken over a medium heat of a campfire, propane grill or charcoal grill. The chicken should be grilled until the juices run clear or the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165 F degrees. The cook time depends on your altitude and thickness of chicken but it usually takes about 20 – 30 minutes to finish cooking. Camp Cooking Tip: When fire restrictions are in place I use my cast iron grill pan over a propane camp stove to grill meat.
- Place the pitas on the grill to warm and toast them. It will only take about a minute to warm both sides.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and slice it into thin strips.
- Assemble the pitas with toppings and Tzatziki Sauce, then serve immediately.