This is one of those camping food recipes no refrigeration required … which is great until you see it has 17 ingredients … BUT … you just open cans and measure a few spices! You’ll have this camping meal on the table in 10 minutes (if you are slow with the can opener) because this Mexican Three Bean Salad Camping Recipe requires no cooking!
Non-Refrigerated Ingredients Camping Side Dish Recipe
Most camping salads use fresh ingredients but this one uses only non-perishable ones.
This recipe is one that I submitted as part of an emergency preparedness campaign to help people feed their families with pantry ingredients that don’t require refrigeration … which is similar to camping without a refrigerator, cooler or even a stove in this case!
Emergency Tip: Develop a family disaster plan for peace of mind. Make sure it includes a family communication plan, evacuation concepts and exit routes. Also, create your “Go Bags” and “Stay Home Kits” and know when to stay or go.
Step 1. Combine salad ingredients.
Get your can opener ready because you’ll be giving it a workout with this recipe. You will be combining the garbanzo beans, black beans, pinto beans, corn, roasted red pepper and green chilies in a large bowl.
Step 2. Whisk the dressing ingredients.
Now you are going to whisk together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, celery seed, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl to make the dressing.
Step 3. Toss together and enjoy.
Lightly drizzle the dressing over the salad and gently toss everything to combine for easy camping lunches or light dinners.
Camp Cooking Tip: This salad makes a great side dish or main dish … if you have meat-eaters in your crowd, you might need to add a canned protein (like chicken or tuna) for them to consider it a main dish.
Camp Cooking Tip: If you are preparing camping meals for two, you can make this recipe as a side dish for one meal then use the leftovers to make grilled bean burritos for another meal!
If you want a warm side dish, try these Dutch Oven Baked Beans. They combine hamburger, bacon and five different types of canned beans in a simple homemade sauce.
Print This Recipe
Mexican Three Bean Salad Camping Recipe
- 15 oz can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can Mexican style corn drained
- 1 roasted red pepper from jar chopped
- 4 oz can green chilies
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In large bowl combine the garbanzo beans, black beans, pinto beans, corn, roasted red pepper and green chilies.
- In small bowl whisk together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, celery seed, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and gently toss to combine.
More Recipe Ideas
Make tasty yet uncomplicated meals on your next trip.