We love camping breakfast ideas that can be served as camping dessert recipes too! Leisurely catch a beautiful sunrise at the campsite with a cup of coffee and warm piece of cinnamon and brown sugar Easy Camp Dutch Oven Coffee Cake! I like to serve it with something savory on the side too.
Camp Dutch Oven Coffee Cake Recipe Cooking Tips
This easy Camp Dutch Oven Coffee Cake recipe requires a 10-inch Dutch oven.
If you only have larger sized ovens, just use a 10-inch pan (like a deep pie tin) inside your oven.
Lining Your Oven
To reduce or possibly eliminate the need for cleaning your gear after making dutch oven camping recipes, you can use disposable Dutch oven liners.
If you have never used a parchment one, I’ve got tips on how to use Dutch oven liners.
I like to measure and mix the dry ingredients at home and transport only what I need to the campsite in lid-locking food storage containers. Then, I combine the dry and wet ingredients at the campsite just before baking.
In order to ensure your Camp Dutch Oven Coffee Cake recipe turns out evenly baked, you should rotate the oven and lid in opposite directions during the cooking process. Using a Cast Iron Dutch Oven Lid Lifter makes that task easy.
Protection From Hot Cooking Equipment
Stressing the importance of campfire cooking safety can’t be done enough. When handling hot equipment around the campfire, be sure to avoid burns by using the right campfire cooking equipment like Heat Resistant Gloves.
Can you even think of eating coffee cake without enjoying a good cup of java at the same time? See how to make coffee when camping so you get the perfect brew every time!
When you need easy camping meals for large groups, consider making a complimentary recipe. I like serving this coffee cake with a hearty slice of my Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza. The two make a great sweet and savory combination. If you are camping with a smaller group, you can still make the two as a “pair” because they make great leftovers too!
The cinnamon and sugar flavor combination is fabulous in these fresh baked Dutch Oven Cinnamon Rolls. No yeast or rolling is required because you start with ready-to-bake dinner roll dough from the freezer!
My Dutch Oven French Toast is a great meal that can be prepped-ahead. You bake it like a casserole, then, slice and serve family style. The powdered sugar glaze is a nice finishing touch.
Print This Camp Dutch Oven Coffee Cake Recipe
Camp Dutch Oven Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs beaten
- 8 ounce container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Vegetable spray
- In a medium size bowl, mix the cake mix, cinnamon, pecans, vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream and vanilla set aside.
- Preheat 10 Inch camp Dutch oven to 325 degrees (19 total charcoal briquettes = 13 top/6 bottom.) If you are using a different size of oven, check this Dutch Oven Temperature Chart post for the number of briquettes you will need.
- Spray the inside of your pre-heated Dutch oven with vegetable spray.
- Pour the batter in the bottom of the oven.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the batter in the oven.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees until done, about 20-30 minutes depending on your outside air temperature and altitude so adjust the baking time accordingly. This easy Camp Dutch Oven Coffee Cake is done when a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Rotate the oven and lid 1/4 turn in opposite directions throughout the cooking process. Check our Dutch Oven Camp Cooking Tips post for more information.
- Take the Dutch oven off of the coals and remove lid to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, slice and serve.
More Yummy Camping Recipes
No matter which meal of the day you need to make, I have inspiration for you! Check out all of our unique food ideas.
If you’re looking for awesome ideas for yummy camping food, you’re in the right place!
Here’s our entire camping recipes list.
Our Camping Products Make Great Gifts!