This is one of those camping dessert recipes you will swear came out of a fancy restaurant! Pour this batter into the wrappers and in 10 minutes you’ll be finishing off a great meal with this scrumptious Chocolate Lava Dutch Oven Cakes Camping Recipe fit for a 5-star feast!
I love using cupcake wrappers to create individual portions in my Dutch oven camping recipes.
In This Post:
Equipment For Dutch Oven Chocolate Lava Cakes
Here are a few Dutch oven accessories that might be helpful with this recipe.
Using Cupcake Liners For Individual Dessert Servings
Camp Cooking Tip: One of the secrets to easily making these chocolate lava cakes in a camp Dutch oven is to use Foil Cupcake Liners because they stay in place as you pour the batter in each cup and they hold their shape as the batter bakes.
Just place the liners in the bottom of the oven and pour an even amount of batter in each cup.
Steps To Make This Recipe
Step 1. Make The Batter. You can prepare this batter and refrigerate it up to 24 hours before you bake these Dutch oven chocolate cakes. I like to make the batter before I prepare dinner so it is ready as soon as we finish eating our main course.
Step 2. Pre-Heat The Oven, Add Batter And Bake. Pre-heat 12-inch Dutch oven to 450°F. (33 total coals = 22 coals on the lid / 11 coals below the oven.) If you are using a different oven size, see my Dutch Oven Temperature Chart for the number of charcoal briquettes to use and other cooking tips.
Step 3. Cool, Sugar And Serve. Let these little Dutch oven lava cakes cool slightly in the bottom of the oven by removing the lid and setting the oven away from the coals.
Step 4. They will fall as they cool. I like serving them when they are slightly warm and gooey so I don’t let them cool too much. Just before serving, I sprinkle them with a little bit of powered sugar.
Step 5. Be careful when removing the cakes from the Dutch oven because the oven will retain heat for a period of time.
If you have any leftovers just place them in your RV refrigerator or camp cooler … once chilled they are sort of like a cross between a chocolate cupcake and a delectable chocolate fudge!
I like serving chocolate cake with a tall glass of cold milk. It’s also great with a cup of joe. Here’s how to make coffee when camping to have it turn out perfect every time. For an extra dose of chocolate flavors I like serving a mug of my rich & creamy Campfire Hot Cocoa.
These delicious molten lava cakes are perfect as is, but, if you really want to go all out you can top them with fresh whipping cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Get your FREE printable camping trip & menu planner before you create your next meal plan!
If you like this dessert, you’ll want to try these too.
- Enjoy the combination of cinnamon and cocoa powder with this brioche bread and a sweet cream cheese glaze with this simple Red Velvet French Toast.
- This from-scratch Dutch Oven Carrot Cake was created to make this yummy cake in the wilderness. The cream cheese frosting puts this moist cake over-the-top delicious!
- Chocolate for breakfast? YES! Try these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Camping Pancakes made simply with just-add-water pancakes!
- These Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls can be made in advance at home or right at the campsite. All of the ingredients are shelf-stable and require no refrigeration.
- If you like chocolate Dutch oven desserts, you really need to try these Simple Camping Smores Dutch Oven Brownies.
- No time for prepping? Try this Dutch Oven Apple Dump Cake that requires almost no effort at all and will satisfy your sweet tooth.
- This Camper Cake is the perfect make-ahead dessert for special occasions!
Print This Recipe
Chocolate Lava Dutch Oven Cakes Camping Recipe
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- In bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, salt and flour, beat by hand till sugar is dissolved.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and chocolate chips.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the egg/sugar mixture until smooth.
- Pre-heat 12-inch Dutch oven to 450°F (approximately 33 coals total: 22 on the lid of the oven / 11 below the bottom of the Dutch oven). (see * Note)
- Add foil cupcake liners to fit bottom of the oven (will make about 12 cakes).
- Pour equal amounts of batter in each liner.
- Let cake bake approximately 8-10 minutes, you want the batter to puff up BUT not enough to set the center (this is where the lava comes from…yum!)
- Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
More Food Ideas
Make every meal of your trip a delicious one!