This pizza is one of our most popular Dutch oven camping recipes … for good reason!
Doing a homemade pizza out in the wilderness might seem like a challenge a bit too lofty but this one is a breeze!
The secret to this Dutch Oven Pizza Camping Recipe: ditch the traditional dough for a batter-based crust.
Who knows … You may even throw away your favorite pizza delivery phone number when you get home!
Dutch Oven Pizza Camping Recipe
Dutch Oven Pizza Camp Cooking Tips
Step 1. Prep Your Veggies
Chop the onion, garlic and bell pepper.
Chopping the veggies for this yummy Dutch Oven Pizza Camping Recipe is way more fun when you use camp-themed utensils like this cute flexible cutting mat with retro RV camper design!
And seriously, who could resist chopping duty with a message like “Camp Hike Cook Drink Eat Repeat” and a Dutch oven hanging over a campfire?!?
Step 2. Prepare Your Campfire For Cooking
If you are a campfire expert, you probably don’t need any help getting your fire started but if you are like me … you might need a little extra advice.
Check out our post, Fire Starters Camping Enthusiasts Must Have, for some tips and tricks!
Camp Cooking Tip: This Dutch Oven Pizza Camping Recipe requires you to brown meat and veggies then bake the crust with the meat sauce.
You can brown the meat directly over the campfire but when it comes to baking at precise temperatures, you’ll want to remove the Dutch oven from the fire pit and either use campfire coals or charcoal briquettes as the heat source for more even baking of your camp dinner.
Step 3. Brown The Meat And Veggies
Add some oil to your Dutch oven then brown the meat and add the onion, garlic and green pepper then add the tomato paste, chili powder, oregano and pepper to make the sauce.
For this Dutch oven pizza camp recipe, I like to use a 12 inch Dutch oven which seems to create the perfect sized pie for our camping group.
Camp Cooking Tip: If you adjust the size of the oven, you will also need to adjust your cooking time so just keep an eye on your pizza as it bakes and use our handy Dutch oven charcoal temperature chart for help in determining the quantity and placement of your charcoal briquettes.
Step 4. Remove The Sauce
Remove the meat sauce mixture from the Dutch oven and set aside.
Step 5. Make The Crust Batter
Mix the flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Then add the oil, egg whites and milk to create the batter for the crust.
Add some cooking spray. Now pour the batter in the pre-heated Dutch oven.
After your Dutch oven is pre-heated, take extra precaution when handling the hot cooking utensils … the lid as well as the handle.
A cast iron lid lifter can keep you safely away from the hot campfire and coals and will keep you enjoying your camp trip as well as your Dutch oven pizza camp dinner that will be almost ready to serve by now.
If you don’t have a lid lifter in your campfire cooking equipment gear box … you should!
Step 6. Top Batter And Bake
Once your batter is in your Dutch oven, it is time to layer on your meat sauce, cheeses and black olives.
Prep At Home Options For This Dutch Oven Pizza Camping Recipe
Camp Cooking Tip: If you want to prep at home, there are several things you can do for this Dutch Oven Pizza Camping Recipe.
You can make the entire meat sauce at home then just freeze it in a freezer bag or store it in a food storage container.
Then you defrost at the campsite and continue with the recipe instructions.
You can also measure and mix your dry ingredients at home so you are only transporting what you need to the campsite.
I like using food storage containers with locking tabs for an extra secure lid seal because I really get grumpy when I have to clean up spills that could have been avoided.
After all, camping is for relaxing and unplugging … and extra cleaning does not fit the agenda, right?
Print This Dutch Oven Pizza Camping Recipe
Dutch Oven Pizza Camping Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground hot Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- Cooking spray
- Prepare your campfire for cooking.
- Heat oil in bottom of 12-inch camp Dutch oven.
- Add meat and brown thoroughly breaking up meat as it cooks.
- Add the onion, garlic and green pepper to the pot. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Now add the tomato paste, chili powder, oregano and pepper, stirring to combine all ingredients.
- Remove the meat sauce mixture from Dutch oven, set aside.
- In a bowl, make the batter/crust by mixing the flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Then add the oil, egg whites and milk stirring lightly. NOTE: This Dutch Oven Pizza Camping Recipe makes a thick crust so if you prefer a thinner crust, use only half of the batter.
- Lightly spray the Dutch oven with cooking spray and spread the batter evenly on the bottom of the oven. NOTE: Your Dutch oven will be pre-heated from browning the meat so be careful not to burn yourself.
- Spoon the meat sauce mixture over the pizza crust batter and sprinkle with cheeses and black olives.
- Cover and bake your Dutch oven pizza at 400 degrees (29 total charcoal briquettes = 19 top/10 bottom) for approximately 30-40 minutes depending on your weather conditions and elevation.
- Let cool slightly before slicing to serve.
If pizza for dinner is not enough, try our Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza Camping Recipe too!
We have so many ideas to make awesome camping food in the wilderness!
Get some inspiration and try something new on your next camp menu!
No time to look for recipes, create a menu and write a grocery list? No Problem! Get our 3-Day Dutch Oven Camp Menu Plan here!
Our Cool Camping Products Make Great Gifts!
If you need camping recipes and menu ideas, you can find them here at the Camping For Foodies Camping Recipes list.
Don’t miss a thing…sign up for Camping For Foodies email updates!
Your purchase of our products will help support World Vision ® Building a better world for children.