Plan some frighteningly friendly fun with these awesome Halloween camping activities the kids and adults will enjoy. There are tons of ways to enjoy your Halloween camping trips!
In This Post:
Halloween Camping Games
Add a Halloween holiday twist to ordinary games. Here are a few ideas…
Eyeball Egg Toss
Create an eerie feel to an egg toss game by using black electrical tape or magic markers to draw an eyeball on the egg.
- You can use raw eggs to add an extra-gross feel to the competition when an egg is dropped … or just use hard-boiled eggs to keep clean-up to a minimum.
- Each team of two people toss their egg back and forth, when a team drops their egg … they are out of the game.
Glow Sticks Pumpkin Bowling
Make 10 glowing bowling ball pins from bottled drinking water by activating the glow stick and dropping it into the bottle … then replacing the screw-on lid.
- Now, use a mini-pumpkin as the bowling ball and play a game fit for the Halloween holiday!
Wicked Witch Ring Toss
Place a Halloween costume witch hat on the ground and use glow stick necklaces as rings to toss around the hat.
- The camper with the most rings around the hat is the winner.
Hot Pumpkin Toss
Just like a game of Hot Potato, toss a mini pumpkin around a circle while playing music, when the music stops, the player holding the pumpkin is out of the game.
Candy Bar Bingo
Play a game of bingo but replace the board chip markers with mini bite-sized Halloween candy. This is a fun activity for the entire month of October.
Spooky Treasure Hunts
Hide little Halloween themed items (like cheap Halloween rings, mini candy bars etc) around the campsite and draw a haunted treasure map for the hidden items.
- The camper who finds the most treasures in the scavenger hunt wins.
Festivities In The Halloween Spirit
It just wouldn’t be Halloween without a few spooky stories and costumes! Here are some ideas to make it easy at the campsite.
Tell A Sort-Of Spooky Story
If you need to stay away from frightening ghost stories and zombie apocalypse tales, go for a little-kid friendly option instead and the whole family will sleep better without turning a fun weekend into a total nightmare. P.S. It’s not just younger children who will appreciate this magic pumpkin patch approach to your Halloween celebration.
Share Halloween Stories Around A Campfire
You can tell scary stories if you like the chilling aspect of the holiday.
Show scary movies after dark if you have a way to play them. Halloween is a classic. Other favorites are the Blair Witch Project and the Friday the 13th film series (which can be shown on Friday night to start Halloween-themed weekends off on the right foot).
Kid-Friendly Halloween Movies
Or, something a bit more kid-friendly like It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.
Host A Halloween Party With Fellow Campers
Host a party with your camping friends by incorporating these ideas:
- Invite Halloween campers to dress up in their favorite costumes then have costume parades.
- Serve holiday-themed food (I have awesome ideas for you later in this post).
- Use holiday-themed plates, cups and napkins (easy ways to dress up cups is to glue googly eyes on them).
- Have decorating contests like camp site decorating, ATV or golf cart decorating then have an ATV & golf cart parade (fake spider webs and plastic spiders are always a fun way to decorate around the campground).
- Family dance including playlists from Halloween-themed movies.
- Pumpkin carving contests.
- Pancake breakfast.
- Let the Halloween experts help. Take a short drive to visit local Halloween events like:
- Haunted hayrides or fall hayrides for the younger kids
- Haunted walks along a haunted trail or in a haunted house
- Autumn farmers markets (make sure you pick up a few caramel apples) and craft shows
- Horseback riding
- Wagon rides
- If you’re camped at one of the Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park RV park’s across the United States, you’ll have built-in fun Halloween activities during Halloween weekends (yes, that is plural! Many RV resorts have consecutive Halloween-themed weekends throughout the entire month that are filled with family fun for younger and older kids as well as adults. It is so much fun, when Sunday morning rolls around, you’ll be disappointed it is time to pack up to head for home!)
Camping Trick Or Treating
Plan a trick or treat event for the kids and pets. This is really fun if you are camping with other families.
It’s a good idea to do a little pre-planning to coordinate this especially if anybody has food allergies or special dietary restrictions.
Make sure you have pet-safe treats like dog bones … it’s an extra bonus if they are Halloween-themed!
Halloween Dance Party
Hold a Halloween ball with a glow dance party and play fun Halloween music like Monster Mash (Bobby “Boris” Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers), Thriller (Michael Jackson), Ghostbusters (Ray Parker Jr.) etc.
Have a costume contest where everyone gets to vote for their favorite costume ideas in categories like …
- Scariest costume,
- Funniest get-up,
- Most unique camping-themed outfit etc.
If you want to dress up but don’t want to wear full-blown outfits, here are some easy options. Fun face coverings in the form of masks work great but it is even easier and less stuff to pack if you cover faces with paint. Face painting is fun for kids of all ages and if you use a kit with stencils, you don’t have to be an artist!
Using temporary Halloween tattoos and glow in the dark stickers are quick and easy alternatives to wearing complete Halloween costumes. Want a variety in one convenient package?
Halloween Craft Kits
This kit contains stickers, stampers, party favors and temporary tattoos … it’s like camping Halloween costumes + Halloween camping activities + Halloween camping decorating ideas … all rolled-up in one neat little box!
Halloween Arts And Crafts
Do some Halloween crafts like pumpkin painting and carving … and you’ll get cute campsite decorations out of the projects to display during your trip. Don’t forget to bring the supplies for your planned Halloween camping art and craft projects.
Who doesn’t love carving jack o lanterns for Halloween? This is one of the most fun Halloween camping ideas because kids and adults can get creative with fun or spooky designs. You can do it free-hand or use stencils.
Pumpkin Carving Stencil Kit
One of my totally non-artistic friends carved a pumpkin with a lot of detail in the design and I was amazed at how easy it was when she told me she “cheated” by using pumpkin carving kit stencils! The pumpkins are so cute … WOW!!!
These are easy and fun Halloween camping crafts that will also decorate your campsite for the rest of your trip!
A quick caution about carving pumpkins at the campsite … carving tools are sharp and pumpkins can be awkward to handle so take extra precautions … especially when small kids are carving your jack o lantern!
It’s also a good idea to use battery-operated tea lights instead of candles to light up the carved pumpkin. Practice good camping safety tips to make sure everyone has a fun-filled camping adventure!
If you don’t feel comfortable with sharp objects, just paint the pumpkins. Any acrylic paint works great, just make sure you have good Halloween-y colors.
Painted Rock Craft Halloween Creatures
Pick up a few rocks around your campsite and paint them with funny zombie faces then set them out as decorations during your trip. See how to make them on sustainmycrafthabit.
Lollipop Paper Ghosts Made With Coffee Filters
Turn lollipops and coffee filters into cute ghosts with this edible craft project. See how to make them on katherinerosman.
Easy Handprint Zombie Craft For Kids
Create adorable zombies that you can hang around camp as decorations after the kids finish this easy craft. See how to make them on simpleeverydaymom.
Halloween Craft Felt Bat Pencil Topper
Enhance your pencils with these lovable bats made out of felt and a few simple hand-sewn stitches. See how to make them on easyfeltcrafts.
Pretty Pumpkins Craft Project
See how easy it is to make these Dollar Tree DIY pretty pumpkins on your Halloween camping trip then use them to adorn your tables. See how to make them on dollarstoreliving.
Egg Carton Tissue Paper Ghost Craft
Don’t throw out the egg carton after breakfast. Make these fun ghosts and then use them for site decorating your camp decor. See how to make them on jinxykids.
Serve some yummy treats with these fun Halloween camping food ideas. Your fall camping trip will probably be filled with cooler temperatures. So, you’ll want your picnic table filled with warm and hearty food. Check out all of my winter camping recipes that are great additions to any cold weather trips.
Get your FREE printable camping trip & menu planner before you create your next meal plan!
Hang Halloween camper lights around your campsite to add a creepy or cute and spooky feel to your event.
Simple Halloween Decorations
Display camping Halloween decorations around the party area and serving tables … as well as your tents and RVs!
More Tips For Halloween Camping
Experiencing the great outdoors in autumn is unique and exhilarating. Get tips on fall camping so you are fully prepared for your Halloween adventure.
More Meal Ideas
There are so many options to enjoy yummy meals!