Dutch Oven Lasagna Camping Recipe
Making lasagna is always a bit messy … whether you are doing it at home or as one of your Dutch oven camping recipes. It is not that it is complicated, but it has so many layers and pre-boiling the noodles is one thing that adds to the challenge. This Dutch oven lasagna camping recipe is made camp cooking-friendly by using oven-ready noodles.
It makes a yummy camping dinner meal that will have your hungry campers asking for it to be included on all of your camping menu plans!
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
Steps To Make Dutch Oven Lasagna
I really like doing easy recipes when we are camping but there are times when I don’t mind putting in a little extra effort for a special camp meal and this Dutch Oven Lasagna Camping Recipe is one of those times.
In my humble opinion, the ONLY WAY to do a more complicated recipe at the campsite is by staying clean and organized.
You can also do pre-trip work by measuring and mixing your dry ingredients at home … like with the dried spices in this dutch oven lasagna.
Step 1. Prep the veggies.
Even though this is a bit more complicated when it comes to camping recipes, you only have to chop an onion and some garlic for this Dutch Oven Lasagna Camping Recipe … and, a little fresh parsley if you want to do the optional garnish.
I like using my Camping Flexible Cutting Mats to chop veggies and shred cheese so I can easily funnel the ingredients into bowls and cooking pots.
Step 2. Brown the meat.
In a large skillet, you’ll need to brown the ground beef and Italian sausage.
Then remove it to drain the grease.
Step 3. Build the sauce.
In the same skillet, you will cook the onion and garlic then add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine and dry seasonings before adding the meat mixture back in to cook.
Step 4. Mix the cheeses.
In a separate bowl you will be combining the ricotta cheese, eggs, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
Step 5. Pre-heat the camp Dutch oven.
When I am using charcoal briquettes as the heat source for my camping Dutch oven recipes, I like to start them with a Rapid Fire Chimney Starter because it is a fast and efficient way to light the charcoal.
You will be baking this Dutch Oven Lasagna Camping Recipe in a 12-inch camp Dutch oven at 350 degrees … which means you need 25 total coals = 17 top/8 bottom.
Step 6. Layer the lasagna.
One of the secrets to making lasagna in a Dutch oven at the campsite is by modifying the recipe to accommodate outdoor cooking.
This Oven Ready Lasagna Pasta eliminates the pre-cooking hassle … NO need to boil noodles! It is a fast and easy way to adapt to rugged out-in-nature cooking conditions.
The awesome thing about using oven-ready pasta is that you can break the sheets to fit the size of your camp Dutch oven.
At this point you will be layering the meat mixture, cheese mixture and pasta to build the lasagna.
Step 7. Bake the lasagna.
This Dutch Oven Lasagna Camping Recipe is baked at 350 degrees … requiring 25 total coals = 17 top/8 bottom in a 12-inch camp Dutch oven.
If you are using a different size of oven, check out our Dutch Oven Temperature Chart to see how many coals you need.
Also, you may have to adjust cooking time for a different size of oven.
Step 8. Let it rest.
After the Dutch oven lasagna has finished baking, just remove the oven from the coals and let stand for about 15 minutes to firm up before serving.
Step 9. Garnish, slice and serve.
You don’t have to add the fresh parsley, basil and more Parmesan cheese before serving but it really takes this Dutch Oven Lasagna Camping Recipe over the top!
We’ve got a much easier version of lasagna. You could call it “lazy man’s lasagna” because it is soooo simple and the entire thing is made in one pot. Try this Pesto Ricotta Pasta Bake that combines Italian sausage, basil pesto and three cheeses to make an easy dinner.
One of our easiest camping pasta recipes is made in one single pot. The noodles cook right in the sauce that is made with Italian sausage. If you want a meal that is quick to prep and cook, try this One Pot Spaghetti!
Print This Recipe
Tried this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating, comment or both!
Sign up here for FREE weekly camping tips delivered to your email 📧😊
Dutch Oven Lasagna Camping Recipe
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage bulk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 (14 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes more if you like extra heat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste (about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
- 1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs beaten
- 4 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 (8 oz) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 4 large fresh basil leaves torn
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and Italian sausage over medium-high heat, stirring and breaking up the meat until evenly brown. Remove meat from skillet, draining grease and setting meat aside to keep warm.
- Using the same skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat then add onion and garlic, cooking till tender.
- Now add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and red wine to the skillet with the veggies.
- Now add the dry seasonings to the skillet: red pepper flakes, dried basil, fennel seed, dried parsley, salt and pepper stirring to combine.
- After the sauce mixture is fully incorporated, add the meat mixture back to the skillet and let simmer until thickened.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, eggs, 4 cups of the mozzarella cheese (reserve the other 1/2 cup of mozzarella for later) and Parmesan cheese.
- Pre-heat 12-inch camp Dutch oven to 350 degrees (25 total coals = 17 top/8 bottom).
- Layer the ingredients in the Dutch oven starting with 1/3 sauce mixture, then adding 1/3 of the noodles and 1/3 of the cheese mixture … then top with 1/3 of the mushrooms and 1/3 of the reserved cheese (the reserved 1/2 cup of mozzarella).
- Repeat the layering of the ingredients 2 more times. Camp Cooking Tip: Oven-ready lasagna noodles don't need to be pre-boiled so they are great for camp cooking! Just break them into pieces to fit the shape of your camp Dutch oven.
- Cover and bake it until the ingredients are bubbly and heated through. Depending on your altitude and weather conditions, this Dutch Oven Lasagna Camping Recipe should take about 40 minutes at 350 degrees (25 total coals = 17 top/8 bottom).
- Rotate the oven and lid 1/4 turn in opposite directions throughout the cooking process. Check our Dutch Oven Camp Cooking Tips post for more information.
- Remove the camp Dutch oven from the coals and let stand for about 15 minutes to set before cutting to serve.
- Top with fresh herbs and cheese, if desired
More Recipe Ideas
Make every meal exciting, fun and delicious!
If you’re looking for awesome ideas for yummy camping food, you’re in the right place!
Here’s our entire camping recipes list.
Get FREE camping tips and recipes emailed to you!
Our Camping Products Make Great Gifts!
Flexible Cutting MatCutting Mat SetStainless Steel Cocktail Shaker Set
I always love cooking on my Fold N Go Propane Camp Stove but it is especially handy for this Lasagna In A Dutch Oven Camp Recipe because you can have the meat browning on one burner, the sauce simmering on another and at the same time you can get your Dutch oven ready for the actual layer building exercise coming next!
If you have a Fold N Go Stove, you will want to have this awesome Fold N Go Stove Carry Case to protect your stove during storage and easy transportation … and, you’ll LOVE the ability to carry your propane cans with it too! How much easier could this Lasagna In A Dutch Oven Camp Recipe get?!?
I like using a 12 inch Dutch oven for this Lasagna In A Dutch Oven Camp Recipe. It seems to be just the right size for the quantity of ingredients. If you decide to scale this recipe for a big camp crowd, you will want to use a larger sized Dutch oven.
If you are serving wine with this Lasagna In A Dutch Oven Camp Recipe, you might want to try these Flexicups Silicone Camping Wine Glasses; they are shatterproof, lightweight and have a handy carry bag too!
I really like serving this lasagna with a side salad I call: Caesar’s Salad Dressing That Does Not Need “The Rule”!
Get More Dutch Oven Recipes For Camping!
I made this Lasagna In A Dutch Oven Camp Recipe on an episode of the Great Food Good Neighbors TV show, watch it here…
We filmed this episode at a campsite in the Usery Mountain Regional Park.
How to get there