This Cast Iron Fish Camping Recipe has Spanish flavor influences and is so delicious your hungry campers are going to think you slaved all day to make this fabulous one pot camp dinner!
One pot camp stove recipes are great when they are easy and flavor-filled! Plus, clean-up is a snap with a single cast iron skillet!
Spanish Inspired One Pot Fish Dish
This is one of my one-pot dinner recipes that serves 4, but, it is easily scaled down to make camping meals for two.
Step 1. Set up your cooking environment.
This one pot camping recipe is flexible regarding where you cook it. It is easy to make over a campfire …
just place your skillet on a grill grate and move the campfire coals closer to or further away from the skillet to control the heat.
You can also use a camp stove or RV stove as a heat source too.
If you are cooking over a campfire, check out our tips for starting campfires the easy way!
Step 2. Heat the oil in the skillet.
You will be pouring a generous amount of olive oil in the bottom of the skillet to coat it, then you’ll bring it up to temperature for cooking.
Step 3. Add the aromatics and spices.
Now it is time to add the onion, garlic, turmeric, oregano, basil and cayenne pepper. You’ll be cooking these till the onion is softened.
I like using my Camping Flexible Cutting Mats to chop veggies and then just curl the mat to funnel the food directly into the skillet.
Step 4. Add the veggies.
Now it is time to add the tomato, bell pepper, salt and pepper to the skillet. You’ll stir and cook until these veggies are tender.
Step 5. Add the rice and water.
Camp Cooking Tip: One way to make your one pot camping meals easy and fast is by using instant rice.
Because it does not take a long time to cook, you won’t be overcooking the rest of the ingredients in your meal.
Step 6. Add fish to the pot.
The fish is the last ingredient you will be adding to the skillet.
You don’t want to overcook the fish because it will turn to a rubbery consistency.
Depending on the fish you use, it could take 5 – 20 minutes to cook so just watch for it to become opaque and you’ll know it is done cooking.
Step 7. Cover and simmer till cooked through.
Now you’ll be reducing the heat, covering and simmering until the fish is cooked through and the rice is tender.
If your campfire cooking kit doesn’t contain a lid that fits your cast iron skillet … don’t worry … you can easily use a cookie sheet or piece of aluminum foil to use as a make-shift cover.
Just make sure it is a tight fit so the heat and steam are not escaping from the skillet.
Step 8. Garnish and serve.
The final step in the recipe is to taste it for seasoning … you may have to add additional salt and pepper to your tastes.
You’ll also be adding some fresh parsley just before serving.
If you are thinking you want an appetizer or dessert to go along with this meal, we have tons of yummy camping food ideas for every meal of the day!
Cast Iron Fish Cooking Tips
Want to catch your fish yourself instead of getting it from the grocery store?
You might want to try Fishbrain.
It is one of the best camping apps if you like to do some fishing on your trips!
With this FREE app, you’ll see where the fish are biting and be able to find fish using the app’s Fishing Forecast.
This cast iron fish camping recipe can be made with a campfire, camp stove or RV stove as a heat source.
We used this Coleman Eventemp 3 Burner Propane Stove for this recipe and love that it has a “bridge burner” connecting the two traditionally placed burners.
It can handle 2 large or 3 smaller pots!
We also like using a propane refill adapter so that we can re-use our 1 lb propane camping tanks.
When cooking this cast iron fish camping recipe over a campfire, I like to use “tweezers” to arrange the campfire logs and coals.
Log Tweezers provide more control than just using a fire poker or shovel.
You’ll want to keep your campfire flames roaring to keep you warm but more controlled for cooking.
This Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast Recipe has Mexican flavors that are amazing. It is made easy by using canned black beans, tomatoes and corn. It’s made fresh with onion, garlic, avocado and cilantro.
Try this Campfire Fish Grilled In Foil Packets With White Wine And Garlic Sauce when you want a really quick meal that is healthy and delicious.
Print This Recipe
One Pot Cast Iron Fish Camping Recipe
- Olive oil to generously coat bottom of large cast iron skillet about 3 Tablespoons
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic gloves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil*
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds firm fish like cod cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley chopped
- Ingredients marked with * can be measured and mixed at home.
- Set up your cooking environment. You can cook this One Pot Cast Iron Fish Camping Recipe over a campfire using a grill grate to hold your cast iron skillet or using a propane camp stove or RV stove as the heat source.
- Generously coat bottom of large cast iron skillet with oil.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, turmeric, oregano, basil and cayenne pepper to skillet stirring occasionally and cooking till onion is softened.
- Now add tomato, bell pepper, salt and pepper (to season), stirring and cooking until vegetables are tender.
- It is now time to add the rice and water to the skillet. Bring the entire pot to boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook until rice is almost done (about 5 minutes).
- Season the fish with salt and pepper and add it to the rice, stirring it in to coat the fish for cooking.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and fish is cook through (about 20 minutes). See NOTE and Camp Cooking Tip below.
- Garnish with parsley. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary and serve.
No time to look for recipes, create a menu and write a grocery list? No Problem! Get our 3-Day Dutch Oven Camp Menu Plan here!
More Food Ideas
Make every meal fabulous with some new ideas.