This is one of our easy camping meals that is perfect for a fast dinner because there is next to zero prep required to make it.
Buttering the bread, layering flavorful ingredients and toasting them in a skillet is all it takes to have this Pastrami Reuben Sandwich Camping Recipe on the table in minutes!
How To Make This Pastrami Reuben Sandwich Camping Recipe
Some of the easiest winter camping recipes include doing a simple grilled sandwich like this one.
Heat it up in the winter with a side of soup and mac & cheese.
Cool it down in the summer with a side of coleslaw and potato chips.
Coleman Fold N Go Propane 2-Burner StoveOne of the reasons I absolutely LOVE making this Pastrami Reuben Sandwich Camp Recipe is because it is so fast and delicious.
Another reason I love it is because I can use my Fold N Go Propane Camp Stove which is a big plus when we are camping during times of fire restrictions and I can’t use a campfire or charcoal for cooking.
Camp Cooking Tip: Keep your camp kitchen simple and organized.
Prepare your cooking utensils and ingredients before you begin cooking.
If you are cooking on a camp stove using small propane bottles, make sure you have enough fuel to finish cooking this yummy sandwich … it just takes a few minutes!
I like them because they are lightweight, flexible, easy to clean and hang from hooks when I am not using them.
Six simple ingredients is all it takes to put this Pastrami Reuben Sandwich Camp Recipe on the table!
Because this sandwich has so few ingredients, I make sure to use high quality ones because their flavor really stands out … especially the bread and meat!
Individual sandwiches are great options for making camping meals for two.
The simplicity of this recipe makes for easy camping lunches if you’d rather have a heavier mid-day meal and just a snack later during the dinner hour.
If you do a lot of cooking with your camp stove and use 1-pound propane bottles, you might want to refill them rather than throw them away … It is easy, safe, inexpensive and environmentally friendly.
Check out our post How To Refill 1 lb Propane Cylinders, Tanks And “Disposable” Small Camping Propane Bottles and you’ll see just how easy it is!
Camp Cooking Tip: Use versatile camp cooking utensils, like cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens … they can be easily used with a camp stove on top of a table but they are rugged enough to withstand the heat of a hot campfire!
For tips on making sure your camp cast iron cookware lasts for generations, check out our Cleaning And Seasoning Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cookware post for helpful tips!
Print This Pastrami Reuben Sandwich Camping Recipe
Pastrami Reuben Sandwich Camping Recipe
- 2 slices marble rye bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound pastrami sliced thin from the deli (NOTE: 1/4 pound of meat is a good amount for a “normal” sandwich but if you want that real “authentic deli” type of sandwich with the meat piled high then use closer to 1/2 pound of meat per sandwich
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- Layer of sauerkraut approximately 1/4 cup per sandwich
- Layer of prepared Thousand Island salad dressing about 4 tablespoons per sandwich
- This recipe makes 1 sandwich, multiply as necessary.
- Thoroughly drain and squeeze as much moisture out of the sauerkraut as possible.
- Slightly warm meat in pan to take the chill off.
- Butter one side of each bread slice.
- Lay one slice of bread (butter side down) in cast iron camp skillet.
- Layer the remaining ingredients and top with second bread slice with the buttered side out.
- Toast it in covered pan over medium heat.
- Flip to toast other side and cheese is melted.
Grab your FREE copy of our Ultimate RV And Tent Camping Checklist!
No time to look for recipes, create a menu and write a grocery list? No Problem! Get our 3-Day Dutch Oven Camp Menu Plan here!
Our Cool Camping Products Make Great Gifts!
If you need camping recipes and menu ideas, you can find them here at the Camping For Foodies Camping Recipes list.
Don’t miss a thing…sign up for Camping For Foodies email updates!
Your purchase of our products will help support World Vision ® Building a better world for children.