Most camping grill recipes are fast to prep and cook with a little extra time to marinate to make the flavors sensational.
These easy Chicken And Veggie Camping Kabobs can be grilled over a campfire or camp grill using propane or charcoal.
How To Make Chicken Shish Kabobs At The Campsite
This recipe calls for a few fresh veggies … if you shy away from making camping veggies because of the challenge of keeping them fresh, we’ve got tips to help you!
Step 1. Prep the veggies and the chicken
You will be chopping an onion, bell pepper and cutting the chicken into bite sized pieces.
Step 2. Marinate the veggies and the chicken
It’s nice to do a quick prep for camping dinner recipes that sit in a marinade for a few hours while you take a hike or relax around camp.
Because the chicken takes a little longer to cook, you will be separating it from the veggies on the skewers so it is easiest to marinate them in separate bags.
Place the chicken with half the marinade in one bag.
Camp Cooking Tip: If you are gluten intolerant, check the label on the salad dressing you’re using because this is a great recipe for people looking for gluten free camping food.
Place the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms in another bag with the rest of the marinade.
Refrigerate for 4 hours to let the marinade do its magic.
Note: Even though the bags are sealed, you want to make sure you don’t cross-contaminate your other food stored in your refrigerator or cooler.
Get our tips on how to pack a cooler to keep your family safe during your camping trips!
Step 3. Thread the skewers
Camp Cooking Tip: We like using metal skewers but if you use wooden ones, make sure you soak them in water before you spear your food and begin cooking so they don’t catch on fire during the cooking process … especially if you are grilling these kabobs over a campfire or charcoal grill.
Step 4. Prepare to cook
The nice thing about grilled camp meals is the flexibility of cooking them.
You can make this as one of our easy campfire recipes if you have a campfire grill grate.
It can also be made as one of our camp stove recipes if you want to use a cast iron grill pan set on your stove top.
Step 5. Grill over medium heat
You will be grilling the skewers over a medium heat.
Start the chicken first because it takes a little longer to cook than the veggies.
Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes … and the veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
Some of my favorite easy camping meals include meat and veggies in one recipe.
Step 5. Serve and enjoy
Be careful because the skewers are hot.
Remove the kabobs from the skewers and serve over rice.
Similar Camping Chicken Recipes
Camping kabobs recipes are not the only way to get a fast and simple meal on your table. Try these too!
This simple grilled Dijon chicken with garlic and jalapeno is zesty and slightly spicy. The marinade only takes a few minutes to prepare but provides lots of flavor for this inexpensive protein.
Want a creamy sauce for your chicken? Try this Dijon mustard Dutch oven chicken breast recipe. You can even use this sauce on other types of meats and veggies!
Print This Chicken Shish Kabobs Camping Recipe
Chicken Shish Kabobs Camping Recipe
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts half breasts, cubed in bite sized pieces
- 1 onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms dirt removed with wet paper towel
- 10 oz package cherry tomatoes
- 16 oz bottle Italian salad dressing
- 4 servings cooked rice
- Place the chicken in a gallon food storage bag.
- Pour 1/2 bottle of dressing in the bag with the chicken.
- Seal the bag and toss to coat all of the chicken with the dressing.
- Refrigerate 4 hours to marinate, turning the bag every hour or so to ensure the chicken is evenly coated with the dressing.
- Place the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms in a gallon food storage bag.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 bottle of dressing in the bag with the veggies.
- Seal the bag and toss to coat all of the veggies with the dressing.
- Refrigerate 4 hours to marinate, turning the bag every hour or so to ensure the veggies are evenly coated with the dressing.
- Using metal or soaked wooden skewers, thread the chicken separating the pieces with a few chunks of the onion.
- On separate skewers, thread the remaining onion chunks, bell pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Start your campfire or your camp (propane or charcoal are both fine) grill.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat until vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through turning occasionally. Baste with marinade during cooking and discard any unused dressing. The veggies will take about 10 minutes and the chicken will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Get more fun and yummy ideas to make awesome camping food on your next trip!
Our Cool Camping Products Make Great Gifts!