This is one of our easiest Dutch oven camping recipes that is on the table in about 20 minutes! When you want a super quick meal with a Mexican flair, you need to try these yummy Dutch Oven Camping Tacos.
How To Make Beef Tacos At The Campsite
You can make easy camping meals that bring in exciting international flavors no matter where your campsite is located. If you want to expand the global theme to your camping dinner recipes, just add a similar flavor profile to your side dishes and appetizers.
Step 1. Prepare your cooking equipment.
If you are making this as one of our campfire recipes, you’ll need to get your fire going in order to cook over coals (not flames) … you can also use charcoal briquettes.
If fire restrictions prevent you from using an open flame … or you just prefer cooking with propane, you can also make this as one of our camp stove recipes so get your stove ready for cooking on a level surface.
Step 2. Prepare the veggies and measure out all ingredients.
You’ll need to chop cilantro, tomato, onion and jalapeno pepper for the taco toppings.
Step 3. Brown the meat.
Camp Cooking Tip: If you measure your ground beef at home, you can freeze it in a plastic freezer bag in a flat square so it transports easily in a cooler or RV refrigerator and defrosts nicely when it is time to use it.
You’ll be browning the hamburger over a medium-high heat.
Don’t drain the fat.
Step 4. Add the seasoning.
One of the things that makes this recipe so simple is the flavor-filled taco seasoning you add to the meat.
Step 5. Thoroughly cook the hamburger.
You will continue cooking the ground beef until it is fully cooked and the seasonings are completely incorporated.
Step 6. Build the tacos.
Every taco starts with a hard taco shell and the meat mixture, then you can add whatever toppings you like.
We like our tacos at the campsite the same way we like them at home … loaded with lots of toppings!
So, we add cilantro, tomato, onion, jalapeno pepper, cheddar cheese, guacamole and sour cream.
You can use prepared guacamole but we like making this Fresh Guacamole Camping Appetizer and then reserve some for our taco dinner.
We also do this Sweet Onion Salsa Recipe. We love it so much we make a double batch and serve it over eggs for breakfast!
Use my camping menu planner to stay organized when planning meals for your next trip. It’s FREE and you’ll get it delivered instantly to your inbox!
- Try these Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos if you want an alternative to ground beef tacos. This one adds slaw and is topped with a creamy jalapeno lime sauce.
- Love cooking with hamburger? Try these super simple Big Mac Sloppy Joes. They are a homemade twist on a fast-food classic. The Big Mac copycat secret sauce is what makes them taste so good.
- Try these Creamy Tacos when you want an easy, tasty & fun one-pot camping meal. Check out all of our yummy ground beef camping recipes.
- This Dutch Oven Meatloaf is topped with bacon and a simple homemade glaze. It gets requested by my family all the time!
- If you want Mexican flavors but you’re tired of beef, try this Dutch Oven Mexican Chicken. It’s a one pot meal with chicken and rice. Check out all of our yummy Dutch oven Mexican recipes to get meal ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Print This Recipe
Dutch Oven Camping Tacos Recipe
- 12-Inch, 6 Quart Cast Iron Camp Dutch Oven or skillet
- 1 pound ground beef hamburger
- 2 (1 oz) packets taco seasoning
- 12 hard taco shells
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- jalapeno pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- Prepare campfire or camp stove for cooking.
- Place 10-inch cast iron Dutch oven on cooking grate over coals of campfire or on a propane camp stove.
- Add ground beef to the Dutch oven and brown over medium-high heat using a wooden spoon to break up the hamburger as it cooks.
- When the hamburger crumbles are almost fully cooked, don’t drain the fat … just add the taco seasoning to the pot … stirring until it is fully incorporated.
- Continue cooking uncovered until the hamburger is fully cooked.
- Build the tacos, starting with spooning the taco meat into the shell and layering in the toppings of your choice.
- You can use prepared guac for this recipe or make a fresh batch of homemade guacamole!
- Serve warm.
More Camping Food Ideas
Make every meal of your trip a delicious one with some new ideas.