Looking for good and hearty handheld camping breakfast ideas you can eat without a fork? These easy Camping Breakfast Burritos have a southwestern flair and are fun to make right over your campfire! We call it a “walkable feast” in your hand!
How To Make Camping Breakfast Burritos
This is one of our easy camping meals that comes together in minutes but is packed with flavor because of the fresh ingredients.
Step 1. Prepare the fresh herbs and measure out all ingredients. You only have to chop a bit of cilantro for this breakfast burrito so the prep work is pretty simple.
Step 2. Set up your cooking gear. If you are making this as one of our campfire recipes, you’ll need to get your fire going in order to cook over coals (not flames) … you can also use charcoal briquettes. If fire restrictions prevent you from using an open flame … or you just prefer cooking with propane, you can also make this as one of our camp stove recipes so get your stove ready for cooking on a level surface.
Step 3. Cook the sausage. I like making this as one of our Dutch oven camping recipes and I use my 10-inch oven for this recipe but you can use a cast iron skillet or a non-stick skillet if you are cooking over a propane stove. Over the medium heat of a campfire or camp stove, fry the sausage until it is fully cooked, breaking it up into small crumbles as it cooks.
Camp Cooking Tip: Chorizo sausage has a lot of spices in it which provides tons of flavor without a lot of effort … but … the reddish-brown spices can make it look like it is fully cooked when it is not so be careful not to undercook the sausage.
Step 4. Beat the eggs. In a bowl, you will need to beat the eggs with the salt and pepper.
Step 5. Add the eggs to the pot and cook. Eggs don’t get that rubbery texture if you cook them on low so you’ll want to reduce the heat before adding the eggs. Gently stir the egg mixture into the pot with the sausage and continue stirring until the eggs are almost set.
Camp Cooking Tip: When you are cooking over a campfire or with charcoal briquettes, just remove as many coals as necessary to lower the heat. If you are cooking over a propane stove, just turn the knob down. Remember that cast iron equipment retains heat for longer periods of time that other camp cookware materials so it won’t be an instantaneous heat reduction.
Step 6. Add the cheese. Stir in the cheese and stir gently until it is melted.
Step 7. Serve and enjoy. Top each tortilla with 1/4 of the sausage egg mixture, sour cream and cilantro. Roll the tortillas in a burrito style and enjoy.
Camp Cooking Tip: This recipe is really easy to scale up so you may want to consider it when you need easy camping meals for large groups.
If you enjoy a Mexican flavored burrito for breakfast but don’t want the tortilla, try these Breakfast Camping Burrito Bowls that will have you eating in about 15 minutes! They’re meatless so if the people on your camping trip like meat, serve a little bacon or breakfast sausage on the side.
New Mexican Huevos Rancheros are the perfect combination of flavors and textures. A fried tortilla is topped with beans, a fried egg and warmed salsa.
This Cowboy Breakfast Skillet has many of the ingredients you find in campfire breakfast burritos but it’s made in a large skillet. It combines sausage, bell pepper, onion, potatoes, eggs, cheese and green onions to create a great tasting breakfast that is filling enough to take you to dinner.
These California-Style Camping Breakfast Burritos With Avocado, Eggs & Chorizo are similar to this recipe because they both have tortillas filled with eggs, chorizo and cheese but the California breakfast burrito recipe adds cubed potatoes and fresh avocado slices making a really healthy breakfast packed with protein, fiber and carbs that will provide you with all the energy you need for a fantastic day-hike!
Burritos make great summer and winter camping recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Try our Grilled Tortilla With Veggies And Black Beans Burrito Camping Recipe too! It is vegetarian but meat-eaters love it too!
Get your FREE printable camping trip & menu planner before you create your next meal plan!
Prepare In Advance
To prepare as one of our make ahead camping meals, do this:
- At home: Cook sausage, eggs, salt, pepper and cheese. Stuff into tortillas. Wrap in aluminum foil and place in refrigerator or cooler until you’re ready to eat them.
- At camp: Heat foil-wrapped make-ahead breakfast burritos over hot campfire coals or grill. Top with cilantro and sour cream, if desired. Enjoy.
Print This Recipe
Breakfast Burrito Camping Recipe
- 1/2 pound pork chorizo bulk sausage
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 small bunch cilantro chopped
- Prepare for cooking in your 10-inch* cast iron camp Dutch oven. This recipe can be cooked using a campfire, camp stove, RV stove or charcoal briquettes as a heat source. (see * Note)
- Chop cilantro and measure out all ingredients.
- Over the medium heat of a campfire or camp stove, fry the sausage until it is fully cooked, breaking it up into small crumbles as it cooks. (see ** Note)
- Beat the eggs, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Reduce the heat to low before you add the eggs. (see *** Note)
- Gently stir the egg mixture into the pot with the sausage and continue stirring to scramble the eggs and cook until they are almost set.
- Now, add the cheese and continue stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Evenly divide the egg and sausage mixture as you spoon it on the tortillas, then, top with sour cream and cilantro.
- Roll the tortillas and fold into a burrito style. Serve hot.
Get More Camping Food Ideas!
Try some new recipes on your next trip!