Some of the most popular camping breakfast ideas … like sandwiches, wraps and burritos … don’t require utensils for serving and eating. These California Style Camping Breakfast Burritos are loaded with eggs, potatoes, chorizo sausage, black beans, cilantro and avocado all served in a tortilla for easy eating in the great outdoors!
Prep To Make Loaded Breakfast Burritos
When you are making super-filling breakfast meals that give you enough energy to get you through till dinner, you’ll be prepping a fair amount of ingredients. For these California burritos, you’ll need to chop a bit of cilantro, avocado, potatoes and onion.
Methods Of Cooking California Camping Burritos
I usually make this as one of our camp stove recipes because it is a breakfast we like to have before going on a day hike and I don’t want to deal with starting and then putting out a campfire in the morning. If this is your choice too, you’ll need to get your stove ready for cooking on a level surface.
If it is a cold morning and you have a campfire going to stay warm, you may want to make this as one of our campfire recipes. Don’t forget you’ll need to get your fire going early enough so you are cooking over coals (not flames).
Steps To Make California Breakfast Burritos
Step 1. Prepare your ingredients as directed. You don’t want the avocado to turn brown so you’ll be tossing it in a bit of lime juice and setting it aside for serving later.
Step 2. Prepare the eggs. You’ll beat them in a bowl and add a little salt and pepper.
Step 3. Brown the ingredients. You will be lightly browning the chorizo sausage then will be adding the potatoes and cooking until everything is tender.
Camp Cooking Tip: When you are scrambling eggs for breakfast, it is easiest to use a non-stick skillet. If you are cooking in a cast iron pan, you’ll want to make sure it has a non-sticking surface that is created by a well-seasoned pan. Learn how to clean and season cast iron cookware.
Step 4. Heat the beans. In a separate saucepan, you’ll be melting a bit of butter to sauté the onion, then mix in the beans and the salsa to heat through.
Step 5. Cook the eggs. Time to add the eggs and cheese to the skillet of sausage and potatoes.
Step 6. Assemble and serve. You’ll build the Southwest burritos by layering on the beans, eggs, cilantro, avocado and cheese. Serve them warm with lime wedges and hot sauce, if desired.
Pairings For Camping Breakfasts
In our family, we don’t even think about a camping breakfast without a good cup of coffee. Try making yours like the cowboys do! Not sure how? Check out what is Cowboy Coffee and how to make it.
More Camping Breakfast Burritos
It is fun to get creative with breakfast burritos at the campsite. Try these other versions too.
This Breakfast Burrito Camping Recipe has a lot of the same flavors but is meatier and cheesier than our California-style version.
These Bacon Avocado Camping Breakfast Wraps are loaded with bacon, eggs and cheese then topped with avocados and served on spinach wraps.
Want to skip the tortilla and eat your burrito with a fork? Try these Breakfast Camping Burrito Bowls that are ready to eat in less than 15 minutes!
Print This California Breakfast Burrito Camping Recipe
California Breakfast Burrito Camping Recipe
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 small bunch cilantro chopped
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound chorizo bulk sausage
- 2 cups cubed potatoes fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese divided
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas
- Hot sauce optional for serving
- 2 limes optional for serving
- Pit, peel and dice the avocado. Place it in a small bowl and toss it with the lime juice then set it aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, lightly beat the eggs, add the salt and pepper then set it aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the chorizo sausage. Camp Cooking Tip: Use a non-stick skillet or a cast iron skillet that is highly seasoned providing a non-sticking surface for cooking.
- While sausage is cooking, place a small saucepan over medium heat to melt the butter. Then add the onion and cumin, cook stirring until softened. Lastly, add the beans and salsa, continue cooking until heated through, then keep warm.
- Once the sausage is browned in the skillet, add the potatoes and cook everything until the sausage is done and the potatoes are tender.
- Now, add the eggs to the skillet, stirring until the eggs are almost set, then add 1/2 of the cheese, continuing to cook until the cheese is melted and the eggs are set.
- Lay the tortillas flat and evenly divide the ingredients on the tortillas layering the mixtures starting with the beans then the eggs, cilantro, avocado and cheese.
- Serve with lime wedge and hot sauce, if desired.
More Camping Recipes
Make fantastic meals for your entire camp trip. Try these recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert!