Campfire Dutch Oven Jalapeño Cornbread Camping Recipe
People who go camping are the nicest people around! They even share their meals with complete strangers who are camping next door. I’m giving you fair warning right now! Caution: This Campfire Dutch Oven Jalapeño Cornbread Camping Recipe is so good you will be fending off the neighbors for the rest of the weekend! You better make sure you like them before offering them a slice! 😉 This recipes serves 4-6, here’s how you make it! Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
Start your campfire or charcoal briquettes and set up the Dutch oven for cooking.
Heat 10-inch Camp Dutch Oven.
Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
Combine wet ingredients in small bowl.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
Mix wet into dry just until combined and pour into preheated camp Dutch oven.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30-40 minutes. Till slightly browned and toothpick comes out clean. (If you are using charcoal briquettes as your heat source, place 14 coals on top and 7 coals on bottom.) See my Dutch Oven Temperature Chart post and Dutch Oven Camp Cooking Tips post for more tips!
Campfire Dutch Oven Jalapeño Cornbread Camping Recipe Tip
Remember, in order to get a golden brown color when baking with a campfire Dutch oven, you need to use a regular (not deep) Dutch oven so the heat from the top of the oven is close enough to brown your batter, bread or whatever you may be baking.
If the bottom seems to be getting done before the top is browning, just take some coals from the bottom and move them to the top to even out the cooking process. In my humble opinion, baking in a campfire Dutch oven is more art than science … and, that’s part of the fun of using them! 😉
Campfire Dutch Oven Jalapeño Cornbread Camping Recipe Pairings
Cornbread and chili are a match made in heaven! We currently have 4 different campfire Dutch oven chili recipes on Camping For Foodies. You may want to try one or all 4!
- Chill-Fighter Chili Camp Recipe (classically delicious and one of my favorites)
- Campfire White Chili Recipe (beyond yummy with a slight Mexican flare from the cumin and cilantro)
- Spicy Steak Chili Camping Dutch Oven Recipe (a bit too spicy for me but my husband loves it, he is a heat freak in case you didn’t know 😉 )
- Spicy Chicken and Corn Chili Camp Recipe (a recipe I created for The Emergency Kit Cook Off which prohibited the used of any perishable food items, so, I used non-perishable canned goods and dried spices to create a dish that is perfect if you are low on refrigerator/cooler space during your camping trips!)
I made this Campfire Dutch Oven Jalapeño Cornbread Camping Recipe on the GFGN TV show with the episode that also featured Amuse Bouche and Wildflower Bread Company. You can check out that episode here.
Some of my favorite gadgets for baking this Campfire Dutch Oven Jalapeño Cornbread Camping Recipe!
No time to look for recipes, create a menu and write a grocery list? No Problem! Get our 3-Day Dutch Oven Camp Menu Plan here!
Get More Dutch Oven Recipes For Camping!
Don’t miss a thing…sign up for Camping For Foodies email updates!
Your purchase of our products will help support World Vision ® Building a better world for children.