Spicy Steak Chili Camping Dutch Oven Recipe
Got carnivores always asking, “Where’s the meat?” Forget the hamburger, this spicy campfire chili calls for steak! And, it is not for the faint of heart when it comes to the spice level … it has two types of chili powder and peppers. Plus, adding a few jalapeno peppers for serving and you might call this Spicy Steak Chili Camping Dutch Oven Recipe a 5 alarm chili … that’s why I serve it with a few lime wedges and top it with a dollop of sour cream. This recipes serves 4-6, here’s how you make it! Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
Start your campfire and set up the Dutch oven for cooking.
You can use charcoal briquettes as a heat source or use a grill grate or a hanging tripod for cooking in your Dutch oven directly over a campfire. Try fire sticks to get your campfire started. If you are cooking in fire restriction conditions, use a propane camp stove as the heat source.
Heat 12-inch Camp Dutch Oven.
Add and fry:
- 4 slices thick bacon, cubed
Chop your veggies on cute retro RV camper trailer flexible cutting mats!
Add the following ingredients, stirring occasionally till browned:
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pound boneless chuck steak, cubed in 1/2” pieces
Then stir in the following:
- 2 cups beef stock
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoons regular chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Cover and simmer for 1 hour
For serving, optional toppings:
- Green onions, sliced
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Lime wedges
- Jalapeno peppers, sliced
Want to make the classic combination of cornbread and chili? Try our totally yummy Campfire Dutch Oven Jalapeño Cornbread Camping Recipe!
We currently have 4 different campfire Dutch oven chili recipes on Camping For Foodies. You may want to try one or all 4!
- Chill-Fighter Chili Camp Recipe (classically delicious and one of my favorites)
- Campfire White Chili Recipe (beyond yummy with a slight Mexican flare from the cumin and cilantro)
- Spicy Steak Chili Camping Dutch Oven Recipe (a bit too spicy for me but my husband loves it, he is a heat freak in case you didn’t know 😉 )
- Spicy Chicken and Corn Chili Camp Recipe (a recipe I created for The Emergency Kit Cook Off which prohibited the used of any perishable food items, so, I used non-perishable canned goods and dried spices to create a dish that is perfect if you are low on refrigerator/cooler space during your camping trips!)
I made this Spicy Steak Chili Camping Dutch Oven Recipe on the GFGN TV show with the episode that also featured Amuse Bouche and Wildflower Bread Company. You can check out that episode here.
Some of my favorite gadgets for cooking this Spicy Steak Chili Camping Dutch Oven Recipe!
No time to look for recipes, create a menu and write a grocery list? No Problem! Get our 3-Day Dutch Oven Camp Menu Plan here!
Get More Dutch Oven Recipes For Camping!
Don’t miss a thing…sign up for Camping For Foodies email updates!
Your purchase of our products will help support World Vision ® Building a better world for children.