This Camping Breakfast Skillet is one of the best camping breakfast ideas! This simple and hearty meal will be on your table in less than 30 minutes.
Cooking Methods & Equipment
Get your fire going to make this as one of our easy campfire recipes. You want to cook over hot coals rather than flames and you’ll want to use cookware designed for campfire cooking, like a cast iron skillet or Dutch oven.
If you prefer propane or electric, this is the perfect meal to make as one of our camp stove recipes, you can also use a conventional stove or RV stove.
Step 1. Prepare your ingredients, heat source and equipment as directed.
Step 2. Melt the butter over medium heat.
Step 3. Add the hash brown potatoes and ham to the butter, cook until they are slightly browned. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan. The nice thing about one pot camping meals is that you will continue to build the recipe in a single pan, making cooking and cleanup simple.
Step 4. Stir in eggs. You’ll want to gently stir the eggs to combine with the rest of the ingredients.
Step 5. Stir in cheese. When the eggs are almost set, add the cheese to the pan. Stir it to combine well with the hash brown mixture.
Step 6. Add green onions & serve. When the cheese is melted and eggs are fully cooked, top the mixture with green onions and serve hot.
What To Serve With This Recipe
This is a great option if you want gluten free camping food for breakfast. I like serving a hot cup of camp coffee and some fresh orange juice on the side.
A toasted English muffin is a nice pairing for campers who really want some type of bread to go along with their egg dishes.
If you like serving sweet alongside your savory morning meals, try red grapefruit or oranges cut in half or sliced into wedges for easy eating.
I love skillet meals that can easily scale up or down.
If you want to reduce the number of servings, this is a great option when making camping meals for two. Just be sure to use a smaller skillet to get a good texture.
Recipes with minimal prep and cook time make easy camping meals for large groups. You can simply scale this recipe up and cook in large batches then transfer the food into aluminum pans, cover with foil and place in warm area for hot holding until the food is served.
This Cowboy Breakfast Skillet lets eggs cook in a bed of sausage, peppers, onions, potatoes and cheese. I like cooking this recipe over an open fire with hot campfire coals but cowboy charcoal works too.
The flavor that comes from this easy camping breakfast will amaze you. The 3 basic ingredients in Hobo Eggs taste fantastic because of the cooking method!
Looking for a fun brunch idea? Try these Cast Iron Skillet Breakfast Nachos that combine scrambled eggs with black beans, tortilla chips, cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado and sour cream.
If your cast iron Dutch oven is one of your favorite pieces of kitchen camping gear, you will love our Dutch oven camping recipes!
This Dutch Oven Egg Bake is a yummy campfire breakfast casserole that combines spicy country sausage with hashbrowns, eggs and cheese. The surprise ingredients that take it over the top are the dry mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
I love winter camping recipes for breakfast that include meat, eggs and potatoes all in one pot.
Hearty breakfast bakes are great morning meals for feeding hungry campers with a slice & serve, family-style recipe like this Mountain Man Breakfast.
These Muffin Tin Campfire Eggs make it easy on the cook. Just set up a table with a variety of ingredients and let each camper build their own breakfast. They can do sunny side up eggs or scrambled along with their favorite veggies and meats like ham, bacon, green peppers, green onions, tomatoes, shredded cheese, jalapenos and mushrooms.
Print This Recipe
Camping Breakfast Skillet Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups frozen Southern Style Diced Hash Brown Potatoes defrosted
- 1/2 pound deli ham cubed into bite sized pieces
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce optional for serving
- Prepare campfire or conventional, RV or camp stove for cooking. Use a medium size skillet for 4 servings or a larger skillet for if you are scaling the recipe to feed more people. Cast iron is great for cooking over a camp fire open flame, non-stick is fine for RV, conventional or camp stoves.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add hash browns and ham to the pan, stirring occasionally to make sure they are not sticking to the bottom of the pan, cook until they are slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the eggs, continue cooking over medium heat stirring gently until the eggs are almost cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese into pan stirring to combine with the egg and hashbrown mixture. Continue cooking until cheese melts and eggs are fully cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle green onions over the top of the skillet and serve hot. Add a few dashes of hot sauce, if desired.
More Yummy Meal Ideas
Looking for simple and delicious recipes for breakfast, dinner and dessert? You’re in the right place!