Have a Mexican fiesta at the campsite with one of our favorite Dutch oven camping recipes! These yummy cast iron Dutch oven chicken enchiladas are a fun dinner. We also like to start this meal with our guacamole camping snack and a cold beverage.
How To Make Chicken Enchiladas At The Campsite
This is one of our versatile camping dinner recipes that can be made using lots of different heat sources.
If you are making this meal as one of our campfire recipes, you’ll need about 25 campfire coals or charcoal briquettes to bake this dinner at 350 degrees.
Alternatively, you can make it as one of our camp stove recipes using a Dutch oven dome … or … if your 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven fits in your RV oven, you can bake it in there.
Step 1. Prep the veggies
Being one of our easy camping meals, there is not a lot of prep work for this recipe.
You just need to chop half of an onion and a small bunch of cilantro.
Step 2. Mix the filling
This recipe starts with cooked shredded chicken that you mix with a canned green enchilada sauce, onion and some shredded cheddar cheese.
Step 3. Roll the tortillas
You will be dividing the chicken mixture between the tortillas and rolling them up to hold the filling.
Step 4. Preheat and prepare the oven
This recipe is baked at 350 degrees, if you are using a different sized Dutch oven, check our Dutch oven temperature chart to see how many coals you need to maintain the proper temperature.
You will need to spray the bottom and sides of the oven with cooking spray before adding the ingredients to the pot.
Step 5. Add the sauce and enchiladas to the oven
Now it is time to add some of the red enchilada sauce to the bottom of the oven, then add the rolled enchiladas and top with the remaining sauce.
Step 6. Cover and bake
These chicken enchiladas are already fully cooked so you are just heating all of the ingredients together.
It will take about 35 minutes for them to be heated through.
Camp Cooking Tip: In order to evenly bake these enchiladas, you’ll need to rotate the Dutch oven and lid 1/4 turns in opposite directions every 10 minutes or so.
Baked meals make particularly wonderful winter camping recipes that keep you warm when the air temperatures get cold.
Step 7. Melt the cheese
Now it is time to create the gooey, cheese top.
Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the enchiladas and bake them a few more minutes until the cheese melts.
Then you need to remove the Dutch oven from the heat and let the enchiladas set for a bit so they firm up before you serve them.
Step 8. Add toppings and serve
Just before you are ready to serve your hungry campers, top the enchiladas with cilantro and sour cream. Enjoy.
Cilantro is a great addition to our Dutch oven Latin campfire chicken recipe too!
Print This Cast Iron Dutch Oven Chicken Enchiladas Camping Recipe
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 10 oz can green enchilada sauce
- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 flour tortillas (about 7-inch soft taco size)
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Prep the veggies as directed.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chicken, green enchilada sauce, onion and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Pre-heat a 12-inch cast iron camp Dutch oven to 350 degrees (25 coals total: 17 top/8 bottom).
- Evenly split the chicken mixture on the tortillas and roll them up.
- Spray the bottom and sides of your Dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 of the red enchilada sauce in the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Lay the rolled tortillas in the sauce in the oven with the seam side down.
- Pour the remaining red enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
- Cover the Dutch oven with its lid (and coals) and bake for 35 - 40 minutes until the enchiladas are heated through. Turn oven and lid 1/4 turn in opposite directions every 10 - 15 minutes for even baking.
- Remove the cover and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese over the enchiladas.
- Replace the lid (with coals) and continue baking (about 5 minutes) until the cheese melts.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and remove the coals from the lid; let stand (covered but without coals) 5 minutes to firm the enchiladas.
- Remove the Dutch oven lid and top with cilantro.
- Serve topped with sour cream, if desired.
Here are a few more useful links:
Dutch Oven Temperature Chart https://www.campingforfoodies.com/dutch-oven-temperature-chart/
Camping For Foodies Recipes List https://www.campingforfoodies.com/camping-recipes-list/
Our Products https://www.campingforfoodies.com/shop/
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 698Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 1820mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 39g
Don’t let this be the only new camping food you try!
We’ve got tons of other great recipes!
Our Cool Camping Products Make Great Gifts!