Simple Cast Iron Dutch Oven Chicken Enchiladas
Have a Mexican fiesta at the campsite with one of our favorite Dutch oven camping recipes! These yummy cast iron Dutch oven chicken enchiladas are a fun dinner. We also like to start this meal with our guacamole camping snack and a cold beverage.
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
Cooking Methods & Equipment
This is one of our versatile camping dinner recipes that can be made using lots of different heat sources.
If you are making this meal as one of our campfire recipes, you’ll need about 25 campfire coals or charcoal briquettes to bake this dinner at 350 degrees.
Alternatively, you can make it as one of our camp stove recipes using a Dutch oven dome … or … if your 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven fits in your RV oven, you can bake it in there.
I recommend a standard 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven for this meal.
How To Make Dutch Oven Enchiladas At The Campsite
Step 1. Prep the veggies
Being one of our easy camping meals, there is not a lot of prep work for this recipe. You just need to chop half of an onion and a small bunch of cilantro.
Step 2. Mix the filling
This recipe starts with cooked shredded chicken that you mix with a canned green enchilada sauce, onion and some shredded cheddar cheese.
Step 3. Roll the tortillas
You will be dividing the chicken mixture between the tortillas and rolling them up to hold the filling.
Spoon a portion of the meat mixture on one tortilla and continue with remaining meat until the portions are evenly divided across the layer of tortillas.
Step 4. Preheat and prepare the oven
This recipe is baked at 350 degrees, if you are using a different sized Dutch oven, check our Dutch oven temperature chart to see how many coals you need to maintain the proper temperature.
You will need to spray the bottom and sides of the oven with cooking spray before adding the ingredients to the pot.
Step 5. Add the sauce and enchiladas to the oven
Now it is time to add some of the red enchilada sauce to the bottom of the oven, then add the rolled enchiladas and top with the remaining sauce.
Step 6. Cover and bake
These chicken enchiladas are already fully cooked so you are just heating all of the ingredients together.
It will take about 35 minutes for them to be heated through.
Camp Cooking Tip: In order to evenly bake these enchiladas, you’ll need to rotate the Dutch oven and lid 1/4 turns in opposite directions every 10 minutes or so.
Baked meals make particularly wonderful winter camping recipes that keep you warm when the air temperatures get cold.
Step 7. Melt the cheese
Now it is time to create the gooey, cheese top.
Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the enchiladas and bake them a few more minutes until the cheese melts.
Then you need to remove the Dutch oven from the heat and let the enchiladas set for a bit so they firm up before you serve them.
Step 8. Add toppings and serve
Just before you are ready to serve your hungry campers, top the enchiladas with cilantro and sour cream. Enjoy.
Cilantro is a great addition to our Dutch oven Latin campfire chicken recipe too!
When I’m serving Dutch oven enchiladas or an enchilada casserole, I like to serve refried black beans on the side along with spicy green chiles for those who want to add extra peppers to their meal.
If I’m serving a large group, I start with appetizers to stretch the main course. My Sweet Onion Salsa Recipe is so fresh and is perfect with chips made from corn tortillas.
My Dutch Oven Nachos are so yummy with refried beans, fire roasted tomatoes, black olives, diced green chilies and cheddar cheese. You can make them heartier by adding some ground beef.
Get your FREE printable camping trip & menu planner before you create your next meal plan!
Print This Recipe
Tried this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating, comment or both!
Sign up here for FREE weekly camping tips delivered to your email 📧😊
Cast Iron Dutch Oven Chicken Enchiladas Camping Recipe
- Lodge Camp Dutch Oven Lid Lifter (for turning during baking process)
- Rapidfire Chimney Starter (if using charcoal briquettes)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 (10 oz) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 6 flour tortillas about 7-inch soft taco size
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream optional
- Cooking spray
- Prep the veggies as directed.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chicken, green enchilada sauce, onion and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Pre-heat a 12-inch cast iron camp Dutch oven to 350 degrees (25 coals total: 17 top/8 bottom).
- Evenly split the chicken mixture on the tortillas and roll them up.
- Spray the bottom and sides of your Dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 of the red enchilada sauce in the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Lay the rolled tortillas in the sauce in the oven with the seam side down.
- Pour the remaining red enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
- Cover the Dutch oven with its lid (and coals) and bake for 35-40 minutes until the enchiladas are heated through. Turn oven and lid 1/4 turn in opposite directions every 10-15 minutes for even baking.
- Remove the cover and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese over the enchiladas.
- Replace the lid (with coals) and continue baking (about 5 minutes) until the cheese melts.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and remove the coals from the lid; let stand (covered but without coals) 5 minutes to firm the enchiladas.
- Remove the Dutch oven lid and top with cilantro.
- Serve topped with sour cream, if desired.
Whether you’re craving these flavors for breakfast, lunch or dinner, we’ve got some awesome Dutch oven Mexican recipes you’ll want to try. Here are a few of our favorites.
Dutch Oven Mexican Chicken
You’ll enjoy this one pot chicken and rice dinner. Seared chicken breasts are simmered with onion, garlic, rice, prepared salsa and chicken broth to make a flavorful dinner.
Dutch Oven Camping Tacos
Camping dinners don’t get much easier or quicker than these yummy tacos that’ll be on your table in about 20 minutes!
Dutch Oven Chicken And Potatoes
Chicken, potatoes and carrots are combined to make a hearty and healthy one pot meal in a stew-like sauce.
More Camp Food Ideas
Make every camp meal memorable and delicious.
If you’re looking for awesome ideas for yummy camping food, you’re in the right place! Here’s our entire camping recipes list.