Looking for easy camping breakfast ideas that are fun to make around the campfire? Try this recipe for Camping Breakfast Quesadillas.
This is one of my easy camping meals that requires very little prep. You’ll just need to chop a bit of onion and cilantro.
I find it easiest to make these quesadillas over a morning campfire. You’ll want to start it early enough to produce some nice hot coals when cooking campfire recipes.
You can also make this as one of our camp stove recipes or cook on your RV stove top. Get your stove ready for cooking on a level surface.
Even if you have one, I don’t recommend using a microwave for cooking any type of cheese quesadilla because you won’t be able to get the crispy texture you want from the tortilla. Instead, it will have an unappetizing, rubbery texture.
Steps To Make This Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe At Camp
Step 1. Prepare your ingredients and cooking equipment as directed.
Step 2. Prepare your heat source (campfire, camp stove or RV stovetop) for frying over medium heat. I prefer making my winter camping recipes over a campfire to stay warm while I’m cooking but you could easily make this on a stove top too.
Step 3. Brown the pork chorizo sausage. Use a Dutch oven or large skillet to brown the sausage. If you’re cooking over a campfire, it is best to use cast iron or aluminum campfire cooking equipment. If cooking over a propane camp stove or RV stovetop, a normal frying pan is fine.
Camp Cooking Tip: Chorizo sausage is a flavor-packed ingredient that has lots of spices in the meat which gives it a brownish-red color when it’s raw so be careful not to undercook the sausage.
Step 4. Add the onion. As soon as the sausage is browned, stir in the onion. Cook until the onions are softened.
Step 5. Add eggs, salt and pepper. You’ll want to whisk the eggs with the salt and pepper, then gently fold them into the sausage mixture. You’ll want the eggs almost set before adding the cheese.
Step 6. Add cheese. Stir in the cheese to fully incorporate and melt it into the sausage and egg mixture.
Step 7. Build the quesadillas. Place one tortilla on a large piece of foil, spoon half the egg mixture in center and top with second tortilla. Bring up foil and wrap tightly. Repeat with two more tortillas and remaining egg mixture.
Step 8. Toast, slice, top and serve. Place foil packets over low-medium heat of campfire or stove. Cook about 2-3 minutes then flip packet to toast second side. Carefully open the packet to check that the tortillas are toasted and slightly brown on both sides, the steam will be hot so wear heat-resistant gloves or use tongs to handle the pack. Slice half of the tortilla then turn it 1/4 turn and slice again to make four evenly sized pieces. Top with sour cream, cilantro and this Sweet Onion Salsa Recipe, if desired. Serve hot.
What To Serve With This Meal
A nice cup of coffee and glass of orange juice is all you need with this meal. This recipe serves 4 but if you have really big eaters, you may want to serve some fresh fruit on the side. If you want to get extra fancy, try this Fresh Fruit Tossed In Honey Mint Syrup.
If you have 2 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to cook, you can make these yummy Breakfast Camping Burrito Bowls. Amazing flavor, texture and nutrition comes from the black beans, avocado, eggs, cheese and prepared salsa served in a small bowl without a tortilla.
Kids and adults love these Cast Iron Skillet Breakfast Nachos that start with regular taco tortilla chips that get loaded with scrambled eggs, black beans, melted cheese and tomatoes. They’re fun to make and eat!
New Mexican Huevos Rancheros combine a fried tortilla with beans, fried egg and warmed salsa.
This Savory Dutch Baby combines bacon and cheese on a puffy crust made from eggs, flour and milk. Pick it up and eat it like a piece of pizza.
You can’t get much simpler than this 3 ingredient recipe for Hobo Eggs. The secret to making them taste so good is buttering and grilling the bread!
Try these Camping Breakfast Sandwiches on your next adventure. They are a quick homemade version of a McDonald’s Egg McMuffin with bacon.
Print This Recipe
Breakfast Quesadillas Camping Recipe
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons sour cream optional for serving
- 1 small bunch cilantro chopped, optional for serving
- Prepare your ingredients, cooking equipment and heat source as directed. Use a large skillet or Dutch oven. For cooking over a camp fire, use cast iron or aluminum campfire cooking equipment. For propane stoves, a normal frying pan is fine.
- Brown the pork chorizo sausage over medium heat. Camp Cooking Tip: Chorizo sausage has lots of spices that give the meat a brownish-red color when it’s raw so be careful not to undercook it.
- Add the onion to the pot, cook till softened.
- Whisk the eggs with the salt and pepper, then gently fold them into the sausage mixture. Cook until the eggs are almost set.
- Then, stir in the cheese to fully incorporate it until it is melted.
- Place one tortilla on a large piece of foil, spread half the egg mixture over the tortilla then top with a second tortilla (you won’t need to fold tortillas because you are using the second tortilla to make the top.) Bring up foil and wrap tightly. Repeat with two more tortillas and remaining egg mixture.
- Place foil packets over low-medium heat of campfire or stove. Cook on one side till toasted and golden brown, then flip to toast second side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. The packets and steam are hot, carefully open the packet to check and serve.
- Slice into quarters, top with sour cream and cilantro, if desired. Serve hot.
More Yummy Meal Ideas
Every meal of your next camping trip should be a delicious one!